21. Shocking the Higher Ups!

Dragx stared at the Mage Tower in pure astonishment. Sure, the Cathedral looked magnificent and it was taller than this tower. Nevertheless! What this building lacked in height, it made up for in Gothic-themed glamour.

Behind the spectacular black iron gates stood a building that speared towards the sky! Black obsidian bricks that stood out individually, gleaming under the summer sun. They were stacked in an spiral pattern that gave one the feeling that the it was a twisting drill, boring its way into the heavens! All sorts of strange, brightly colored critters flew around the tower.

A constant stream of enigmatic figures pouring in and out of the opened gates! These figures were garbed in many different types of clothing, ranging from weird-looking robes to colourful and exquisite dresses and suits.

If he concentrated, a sense of foreboding would wash over him as uncountable magical waves emitted from the building and blasted him.

Dragx was so engrossed in the place that he forgot about Gunter who stood anxiously beside him. As a normal human that didn't have any magical senses, this place was incredibly intimidating!

"Uhh....Um? Well is this all?" he asked, scratching the back of his sweaty neck.

"Oh! Yes, Thanks! I really appreciate your kindness Mister Gunter. If it wasn't for you, I'd be running around like a headless chicken. You truly are a great person."

"Ahaha, this is nothing lad! To help out a esteemed mage is an honor!" Gunter forced out a labored chuckle.

"I wish you a nice day Sir. Ill be going now." Dragx said to the man as he hurried off to the splendid gates of the mage association.

Gunter could only sigh in relief as he watched Dragx run off. He certainly was too unlucky. He didn't even get a stinkin' copper piece for his troubles and time!

"Haaaah. Jus wait till those fellows hear about this. I'll be a laughing stock!" He brushed his dirty tunic in mild irritation before turning away.

Although, he couldn't help but taking a fleeting glance behind himself to look at the mage tower in pure longing. Gunter was like many poor souls who didn't awaken a magical affinity and was doomed to remain a peasant for life.

No matter how curious he was he could never step into that magical building in this lifetime. Just the aura emanating off the stone structure prickled his skin! A mortal like himself didn't even have the right to stare at such a Magical place for too long!

"Tsk! Oh well, I'd best be on my way" After a few more glances Gunter hurried along, praying silently that the Gods would bless him and allow him to evade those dreadful Patrol men. He couldn't afford to get caught by them! They'd probably whip the skin from his behind!

o::

On the other hand, as a rather fortunate fellow, Dragx didn't have to worry about such things or stare longingly. He marched right up to the tower removed his mage pendant from his inner garments so that it was visible for everyone to see.

Then he merged with the small crowd, entered through the grand gates and walked through the spacious cobblestone courtyard until he the the tower's massive metal doors.

Upon entering the Mage tower, he was overwhelmed by the the utter bustling chaos inside. People were briskly striding to and fro with diligent purpose.

His eyes could barely keep track of the shifting figures of the Mages, and Demi-Humans. They carried strange wooden boxes, chests covered in mysterious engravings and metal cages with exotic animals imprisoned inside.

While everything looked mystical and otherworldly to him, he really abhorred the overwhelming feeling of disorientation.

Honestly, he was fed up! 'Why don't these people feel the need to use signs everytime they were needed!?'