Chapter 22: Family

It had been a few hard days since the loss to Sejoh, Most of the team focused on practicing, getting better so they could avenge their loss in the inter high tournament. Tony had just finished the practice, covered in sweat with his arm slightly twinging in pain. He didn't care about it, he barely felt it. The overwhelming feeling of playing again, with the team he had watched fight their hearts out on the court days prior made him happy.

"Hey! Two-Tone, wanna do some extra spiking practice? We can work on that thing we talked about!" Tanaka asked, a large smile on his face, Tony smiled before wiping his face with his Jersey.

"Sure! Koshi, mind setting for us a bit?" Tony asked the grey haired setter who smiled and nodded, happy to set for both wing spikers. The three began their spiking drill, Four with Tanaka being Tony's decoy, another four with Tony being Tanaka's. Of course, every good spike they got, Tanaka would insist on doing their handshake, saying that all of the girls would go crazy for it to which Tony reminded him that he only had to worry about impressing one girl from here on out.

The two backed up to the side of the court, Suga looking to them for the signal on which one to send it too. Tanaka quickly shrugged his shoulder, showing that Tony would be the one getting this ball. Suga looked to Tony who almost looked as if he had steam coming from him. The setter smiled at the sight, glad to see the boy he cared so deeply for was back in the game, as focused as ever.

The two boys ran up, Tanaka practicing his scream to catch the blockers attention as Tony almost flew off the court, shooting his body upwards and to the side. He quickly brought his hand down, smashing it into the ball. It sailed in front of the net, landing just out of bounds.

"Ah, damn. Must be a little rusty with that, sorry Koshi!" Tony apologized as he ran to go get the ball, quickly bringing it back to the setter.

"Don't apologize! No one expects you to get it first try!" Suga said causing Tony to nod and give the boy a small thumbs up. The boys continued their practice for an hour, Tony and Tanaka both focusing on their spikes and their Decoy ability while Suga and Tony practiced their timing, fine tuning their quick attack to be even more accurate.

"Man, I don't wanna stop but Kiyoko wants me to go over to her house for dinner." Tanaka said, rubbing the back of his head. Tony felt his lips slightly tilt upwards at the remark. The two boys sitting in some chairs while Suga put away some of the equipment, insisting on Tony sitting down, saying that he must've been tired.

"Already bringing you home to her parents huh? I'm impressed, T." Tony said causing Tanaka to chuckle and shrug, slightly letting his body sink into his chair. Tony laughed as he saw his best friend try to cover his blush, thrilled to see him so happy.

"You need a ride?" Tony asked causing Tanaka to shake his head, looking up through the windows and spotting rain pouring from the sky.

"Nah, I'll just have my sister come get me... Plus, I have a slight feeling I'm standing in between something, so." Tanaka teased causing Tony to smack him on the arm.

"Shut it, We still haven't really talked..." Tony mumbled causing Tanaka to chuckle before placing his hand on his friends head and shaking it, ruffling his hair.

"Just talk to him, Tone." Tanaka said, standing from his chair.

"Don't fight! I'll see you tomorrow, Two-Toned!" Tanaka said, leaving the gym to go call his sister. Tony rolled his eyes as he played on his phone, anxiously waiting for the setter to come back from the cleanup.

"Okay, done... Where'd Tanaka go?" Suga said, leaving the broom closet. Tony's eyes snapped up from his phone, looking to the setter.

"Oh, he had to go meet Kiyoko's parents... Those two are gonna be married by the time Tanaka graduates at this rate." Tony joked causing Suga to chuckle and shake his head, sitting next to the boy, slightly closer to him than Tanaka was.