Chapter 5

Kenma's POV

"Kenmaaaaaaaaaa." I sighed, gently closing my book when Kuroo walked over. He smiled at me and held out a vile with a glowing red liquid.

"I got you a gift." He said as I stared at it. 

"What is it?" I asked, taking it carefully and examining it.

"It's a king's blood." 

"...Thank you." I said before putting the vile down. Kuroo smiled as I curled back up on the seat and opened my book.

"What're you reading?"

"What I have to do tomorrow. Why are you back late?" I asked curiously, flipping the page in my book.

"I went to go visit a friend of mine."

"You have friends?"

"Hey...! That's not nice... But yes. His name is Akaashi."

"Is he a reaper?"

"No. He's a demon."

"Oh, alright." I said simply, going back to reading. My schedule was not actually very busy tomorrow. Which I was quite pleased about. Kuroo stretched and put away his scythe before trying to sit with me, but I have plans to meet one of my own friends. I was not a particular fan of the other reapers here, so I have made friends with another creature. The only one who knew was Kuroo however, since if others found out, it was likely I could get in trouble. And he could too. 

"Hey where're you going..?" Kuroo complained when I got up. I tucked the small book back to the hook around my waist before walking off.

"To meet him."

"Now? I just got back though!" He whined. I smiled slightly to myself, glancing back at him. He looked sad. I sighed, walking over and cupping his cheek with one hand. My thumb rubbed over his cheek as he leaned his face more into my palm affectionately.

"We will spend time together when I return." I said, Kuroo smiling faintly at me before I walked off. I traveled to the bridge that connected our world to both the human world and other worlds. I made sure no one was here before stepping through the portal to the world where the angels live.

Hinata's POV

I smiled excitedly, waiting for Kenma to show up. He and I weren't "supposed" to be friends. But we were. No one else really knew except for my closest friends who I trusted to not get Kenma in trouble. Or me in trouble either.

"Shoyo." I turned around, smiling happily. I spread my wings and ended up crashing into Kenma. We both fell over, but luckily it didn't hurt.

"Sorry Kenma! I'm just so happy to see you!" I said excitedly. Because of our differences, Kenma and I didn't get chances to see each other often. So it was always special when I got to see him. I'd travel to see him, but because the reapers had special archives and magic barriers, there'd be alerts that I was there.

Both of us got off the ground and moved somewhere that was harder to spot us. Kenma sorta stood out like a sore thumb because of his clothing. Angels wore lighter clothes and Kenma wore black and red. But thankfully, my wings were a mix of black and white feathers, so it could mask him well.

 But thankfully, my wings were a mix of black and white feathers, so it could mask him well

Despite common misconceptions, our wings weren't always pure white. It had nothing to do with our personalities or whatever, it was just a physical appearance that varied between angels. At least I think so. 

I knew that one of my friends had pure white wings, and another had pure black ones. And my closest friend also had a mix like mine. And I've asked about it, and I was always assured that it was just a physical trait like our hair color or skin. 

"So what have you been up to Kenma???"

"Always the same, really."

"Yeah? How is Kuroo??"

"He is doing well. Still annoying." Kenma said, making me giggle. I fluttered my wings happily as he talked. I always found grim reaper work fascinating. Not because I liked the idea of anyone dying, in fact that part made me really really sad... But it was so meticulous. They had to be precise.

They had an ENORMOUS archive filled with books, one for every human. And each reaper had different roles, kind of like jobs. Kenma and Kuroo were collectors, so they went out in the "field" to collect souls. Kenma told me that there were other reapers who's job was to read through each person's book and decide wether they live or die.

It all was interesting to me. I listened happily as Kenma spoke. He told me that Kuroo came back earlier and gave him another gift. I didn't understand, but from the stories that Kenma told me, Kuroo always gave all out gifts to Kenma. There was even one time that Kuroo apparently went wayyyyyy out of line once to try and impress Kenma.

After he had worn out all his stories, I told him about what has been happening here. Kenma had a tiny smile on his face while I talked, probably a lot longer than I had intended to. Before we knew it, we heard fluttering of wings and someone land next to us.

"Hinata." I slowly turned around, smiling slightly and waving at Kageyama. His black and white wings fluttering as he walked over.

"Hello Kenma." Kageyama said politely. Kenma nodded at him before both of them looked at me.

"Is there something wrong Kageyama???"

"No. But Daichi and Suga have asked me to come find you."

"Oh! Then I guess that we need to go find them fast." I said, Kageyama nodding as I gave Kenma a tight hug. He smiled faintly, patting my back and gently touching my wings in a way to show his approval of them.

"I will come visit you again soon, Shoyo." Kenma said to me with a small smile. I happily nodded, Kenma saying goodbye to Kageyama before leaving. Kageyama bumped my arm, signaling for me to follow him. We both spread our wings and took to the skies.

"Did you have fun seeing Kenma again?"

"Uh huh! He had a lotta stories to tell me today."

"I'm glad that you both enjoyed yourselves. It's rare you get to see each other."

"Well, hopefully there'll be a time we'll get to see each other more. And without getting in trouble."