A mother's love >> Baby Loki x mother reader

“One more push and that’ll be all you need.” the midwife told you as she repositioned herself to better grab the baby.  You took a deep ragged breath before a scream was ripped from your throat as you forced your child from your womb. You collapsed back unto the bed once the heartwarming sound of crying reached your ears. After a few deep breathes you sat upright again motioned for your baby to be brought to you.

“Your majesty… your son….I mean he’s…” the midwife stuttered around her words while she cast pity filled glances between you and your newborn.

“What’s wrong?” What’s wrong with my baby?” you demanded as you hastily threw your legs over the side of the bed and stood up on semi-shaky legs. You shuffled over to her as fast as you could and took your blanket wrapped baby.

“He looks perfectly fine to me.” you declared whilst cuddling your precious child.

“But, he’s so small. The blanket makes him look bigger”

       You glanced down at him and carefully un-wrapped the large blanket from him. Your eyes widened as you took in his smaller than average form. You gnawed your lip once the tell-tale sound of your husband’s footsteps headed for the door. You cast a worried look to the door just as your husband burst through.

“Where is the child?” He asked even though he could plainly see the child in your arms.

“Here he is, my king.” You answered sweetly as you held out your son. Laufey’s face lit up with a small amount of happiness up until he got a good look at the boy.

“What is this?” Laufey hissed before he slunk away from the baby. Fear washed over you and your grip tightened on your dear baby boy. You stared up at your husband with wide eyes as you pressed your newborn to your chest. You stayed silent while your husband kept sending disgusted glares toward the child in your arms.

“He is a runt, not worthy to be king.”

“He is our baby and he’s perfect.” you defended with fire in your eyes and seething anger on your face.

“He is not my son.”

“Well he is mine.” You shot back immediately without showing how much his words broke your heart.

“Well then take your child and go.” he demanded while he pointed toward the door, “Just be thankful I’m giving you two a chance to live.”

       You breathed heavily through your nose and clenched your jaw as you stormed past him. You knew better than to stop by your old room to get anything useful so you were forced out into the wilderness with only your flimsy sweat soaked nightgown and a small blanket that held your still unnamed baby. You pause for the castle gates to open and let your eyes rest on the face of your son. A smile tugged on your lips and from nowhere a name popped into your head.

“Your name is Loki.” you whispered into what little hair he had before you headed out of your old home. You numbly walked through the village, but stopped at the edge of it. Your eyes darted around for any type of shelter and in the distance you could make out the outline of the temple. You made a beeline for the building, thankful to be out of the bitter wind.

“You are my Loki and you are the perfect little king to me.”

       Loki’s eyes popped open and you could have sworn his tiny lips lifted into a small smile, but it was gone before you could be completely sure it was there. Nonetheless you softly caressed the side of his pale blue face and a determination to not only make sure Loki would survive but for him to be completely healthy. You slowly removed your hand and once again his eyes popped open. He stared up at you for a moment before he let out a wail.

“Come here my little hungry prince.”

~Four months later~

      You dropped a kiss to Loki’s forehead, now a healthy shade of blue, before you grabbed your handmade spear and made your way to the temple doors. You stopped in the open doorway and turned back to Loki’s sleeping form.

“I love you.” you told him even though he didn’t know what that meant.  You gave him another unnoticed smile and quickly disappeared into the snow and ice. You gripped your spear so tightly your knuckles went pale blue as you trekked further away from your son in search of food. You truly hated having to leave him so vulnerable, but you knew you had to eat so he could. You were mere seconds away from giving up when the breeze crashed against you and brought the sounds of shouting.

      Your eyes widened instantly and you booked it across the frozen tundra in a desperate attempt to make it back to your baby. Your feet slid on the patches of ice and caused you fall many times. Your breathing was ragged by the time you got to the temple but you ignored the burning in your chest as you put on more speed and burst inside…. And found no trace of your boy.

“Loki!” you screeched as you cast a quick glance around your home before you ran back outside and shrieked his name once again. A little ways away you could see the Asgardian soldiers surrounding their king who appeared to be holding something. Your blood heated as you recognized the small bundle in his arms to be your son and with a roar you rushed forward but with a flash they were gone and you crumpled into a heap in the snow.

“Please keep my son safe.” You cried as tears froze to your face and you made no attempt to wipe them away. You had no idea why Odin would take your child, but you hoped with all your heart the fact that Loki was spared for so long was a good sign.