Chapter 13 - Beach Trip

A.N.: Hi reader(s); some of you might have noticed that the girl in the drawing is missing the dove and lightning bolt on her forehead. This was because when I saved my drawing, I forgot to open the layers that I had closed when editing the layer below. Usually, this won't be a problem, however, when I tried to reopen the drawing, it wouldn't load. So... sorry about that. Now onto the actual writing. ;)

Though my toddler-hood with the Dursleys wasn't exactly pleasant, they didn't really actively abuse me either. As long as I kept out of their way, and didn't complain, they would mostly ignore me and focus their attention on Dudley - or, as Petunia calls him, Dudders. 

My meals were mostly whatever food that was leftover from Dudley, which is usually just enough to fill me, thanks to my good relationship with my cousin. Also, unlike the original Harry, I had an actual bedroom to myself. I suspect it was due to the lack of magic I displayed and the fact that I had started helping out around the house as soon as I could walk without falling over.

"Thud thud thud." the door to my bedroom opened, and my aunt's head stretched in. "Get up! Get up! It's Dudley's birthday and you will not stick a toe out of line! Now get dressed and go help Dudders." she then slammed the door shut and rushed downstairs to make Dudley's breakfast for his fifth birthday.

I groaned and got up, stumbling out of my room to the bathroom. Squinting my eyes against the bright rays of sunlight, I walked into the shower and turned on the water. Splash! Coldwater sprayed onto my face and body, energizing me immediately. A perk I really wish I had in my past life when I had to get up early for school.

I absent-mindedly controlled the water hanging the air to flow into my mouth and scrub my teeth as I close the tap. Spitting out the now dirty water, I willed for my clothes to dry, and then hurried to my cousin's room to help him get ready with a warm ball of water in hand. Briefly knocking on the door, I quickly went in and used the water to clean his face. 

And yes, as you may have guessed, Dudley knows about my wizard and demigod powers. However, he had been surprisingly accepting of it and had come up with some pretty good ways to use them. The only downside to it was the fact that I now had to perform magic tricks for him ever so often - if I didn't, he would use his devastating puppy eyes on me.

After helping Dudley get dressed, I disposed of the dirty water and lugged him out of his bedroom to the dining room, and took over setting up the table from Aunt. Having finished breakfast, we rushed to the car and set off on the trip. After an hour or so of driving, we had finally reached the beach. It was beautiful. Waves crashing down on soft sand, then gently drawing out. Seagulls flew about above, occasionally landing only to take off again. 

I was soon nudged back into focus though, as Uncle Vernon marched me aside. "Now," he said. "I'm only going to say this once so listen carefully. Today is Dudley's birthday so as long as you keep up your good behaviour, don't disturb anyone and have them complaining to us, and don't do anything out of order and ruin our mood, you can go wherever you like on this beach. Got it?"

I nodded quickly, and a satisfied smile spread across his face. "Good. Now run along." he turned around, and lumbered back to the car, taking out their beach towels and other necessities. Yay! My face split into a wide grin, and I sprinted for the water. Rushing into the waves, my shorts and shirt quickly turned wet and stuck to my skin. I looked around, and, after making sure that no one was watching me, dived quickly into the ocean.

Releasing the breath that I was holding, I let out a laugh, feeling relaxed and safe in my father's domain. After floating around for a while, I started to swim further out. But something seemed wrong. I frowned, scanning my surroundings, and finally realised what was missing. Why are there no sea creatures?