Chapter 2 - Training

I took another deep breath. I had decided to try all the methods to see which one worked for me. I have no idea if the methods will be beneficial or detrimental to me, but... well, I don't know if this world is safe for me or not, and I do not like being venerable.

Also, in all the books I had read in my last life, none of the protagonists had blown up, trying to use their powers... then again, they had plot armour, while I was simply going on blind luck. Oh well... here goes nothing...

Calming my mind, I focused on the warmth in my chest. Breathing in and out slowly, I tried to move a small part of the warmth. Nothing happened. Slightly frustrated, I tried again but with a smaller part. This time, it did move, but immediately bounced back after I released the little control I had over it.

I froze, hoping that whatever I had just down wouldn't blow me up into small bits. A second passed. Nothing happened. I breathed a long sigh of relief. Well, looks like that didn't work... looks like I'll have to try the second method.

But. Where am I supposed to start unravelling from? The ball, as far as I could tell, was in a perfect sphere shape. I couldn't tear out a strand either, since it would just bounce back. I guess that plan is ruled out too then.

Now I only had one way left. If this doesn't work either... well, I'm not gonna think about that for now. It would just stress me out. Relaxing my body, I closed my eyes and reached out to the warmth again. Slowly, I pictured it spinning, and attracting more energy towards it.

Seconds passed before I finally got a reaction. The small ball twirled once on its axis, slowly, as I felt something pass through my skin. I shivered. The sensation wasn't unpleasant exactly, just... strange.

It had felt as if I had pumped caffeine into every single muscle, all at once. My senses had all felt heightened - I had felt the small bits of fluff on my clothes poking at my skin, the aroma of food in the air, the creak of a floorboard dipping under the weight of someone (probably my new mother) and had seen colour for the first time in this life, all in a second.

I tried once again, this time making sure to maintain my concentration. Once more, the ball of energy started to spin, drawing in what I assumed were small particles of magic.

As I marvelled at the breathtaking exhilaration that it brought me, the doorknob to my bedroom suddenly turned, breaking my concentration. I held back my breath in fright, as the door slowly creaked opened, revealing...

A.N.: Hi all; as I haven't got any comments, I decided to have her use the absorbing technique. You can still comment on the name though, just make sure to do it in the prologue.

There isn't a question for this chapter, but... who do you think is at the door? I have already decided on who it's going to be, but I wanted to see if anyone would be able to guess the correct answer.

Thanks for reading this.

P.S.: the drawings are done by me. Do you like them?