Chapter 15 - Talking

After sitting in silence for a while, dad spoke up again. "What is your family like?"

"They are..." I searched for a word to describe the Dursleys. "Fine, I guess. I mean, my aunt and uncle don't exactly love me, but... they do still provide me with a home and the regular three meals a day. And there's also my cousin, who's also my friend. He's a pretty nice playmate. So. Yeah." Turning around, I looked at him. "But I think I remember having another family before that."

He tensed up. "R-really?"

"Yeah," I pretended to observe him. "You know, with loving parents and everything. Also, you... kind of look like my father. From my memories. Hmm... I wonder... are you, my father?" I teased him.

Dad started sweating. "I-"

"Hey, relax, I was just joking. There's no way you could be him. After all, everyone says that he's... passed away."

Berating myself for bringing up the subject, we sat silently for a while, the only sound coming from the sloshing water before Poseidon spoke up again. "Do you resent your parents? For leaving you by yourself?"

I lowered my head in thought. Do I resent them? No. Maybe if I had been a regular child. But, after all, I was reincarnated and knew that I was part of the reason that mum had died in the first place. As for Poseidon... I do feel upset about him not being around, but he does have a reason for his absence. You know, to keep the cranky uncle feeling reassured and lessening the chance of him smiting me. And, of course, to keep the monsters off my back. For now.

"No," I finally said, raising my head again, staring into the horizon. "I do wish that they are here to accompany me and all, but, they couldn't have known that they would die, could they? And it's not like they chose to abandon me."

Dad relaxed, a smile briefly appearing, and the sea around us calmed.

"Anywho," Stretching, I changed the topic. "Are we nearly there yet?"

"Yes. We should be there soon." He stretched slightly as well. "You know, you shouldn't have just come with me. I might have been a kidnapper." Looking around, he teased me.

"Says the person who randomly grabbed me and offered to take me back to shore." 

"I - alright, you win. But next time, you really should be more careful, you know." Poseidon worried.

I brushed off his concerns. "Alright, mom." 

He splashed water at me in retaliation. 

"Hey! Aquarius!" 

"What?" Dad blinked innocently at me. I flipped the canoe, dumping both of us into the water.  Surprised, Poseidon spluttered and waved his arms around before regaining balance. My laughter quickly turned into a squeal as a playful smile crossed his face and he started chasing after me.

While kicking at the water, I turned my head around to find him gaining ground (or should I say sea) on me quickly. "How are you swimming so fast!" I hollered over the sound of splashing water. Dad smirked at me, before lunging forward, covering the rest of the space between us, and dunking me underwater.