Chapter 11 - 4 Privet Drive

I was jostled awake when Sirius landed his motorcycle not so gently on the ground. As Hagrid clambered off the motorcycle, I looked around, scanning my surroundings. Two neat rows of identical-looking houses lined the sides of the street, each with its own carefully maintained lawn. Shadows, cast by the moonlight, covered the area, as, for some reason, the streetlights were off. Probably Dumbledore's doing, with his Put-Outer.

An elderly voice abruptly spoke up. "Hagrid," he said, relief clear in his voice. "At last. And... Sirius?" Dumbledore slightly raised his eyebrows. "I thought you were the secret keeper. But since you are here... I clearly thought wrong," he chuckled slightly. "So, Sirius. Mind telling us who actually was the traitor?" his eyes suddenly sharpened. 

Huh. So it seems like he isn't foolish enough to let Sirius off the hook just like that. Well, at least he doesn't seem to be... evil. If he were, he would have probably just immediately said that Sirius was the traitor and captured him, for his grand plan of raising an obedient Harry - well, an obedient me, in this universe. Then again... he could just be really smart. Oh well, I'll just put him up for later observation and judgement.

"It was Peter," Sirius said with a snarl, once more getting heated. 

"What! Peter?" both professors exclaimed in surprise. 

"I never thought he would be the traitor... but Sirius, why was he the secret keeper in the first place? I thought Lily and James preferred for you to be the one?" Mcgonnagoll questioned, a frown marring her forehead.

Sirius deflated and looked down, ashamed. "It was all my fault. I had p-persuaded them to choose Peter, as most people would suspect that I'm the one that they chose, and would come after me instead. I-I killed them..." Sirius looked back up, his face full of despair. "Minnie, I killed my best friend!" he sobbed, clenching his fists.

"Oh, Sirius... " Mcgonagall's voice trailing off, not knowing what she could say to comfort her former student. 

"Paddy! No' your faul'" I stretched out a hand, patting him on his arm. My godfather started crying harder. Oops...? Maybe I should just stay quiet for now... I sank back into my bundle off blankets.

Dumbedore walked forward. "Sirius. It wasn't your fault. And don't worry, we will catch Peter." He then turned to Hagrid. Or, more specifically, me. Mcgonagall came over too and and lowered her head. 

"Is that where-?" she whispered to Dumbledore. 

"Yes," the headmaster replied. "She'll have that scar for ever."

"Can't you do something about it, Dumbledore?" 

He shook his head. "Even if I could, I wouldn't. Scars can come in useful. I have one myself above my left knee which is a perfect-" 

"B-but she'll be alright, right?" Sirius interrupted, finally having stopped crying at the prospect that I might be injured. Dumbledore nodded, smiling reasuringly at Sirius. Looks like he isn't suspecting that I'm a horcrux yet. 

Then again, in the series, he only started to become suspicious in Harry's second year, when he spoke parseltongue, and had only started actually acting on his doubts in the fifth year, when Harry had dreamed of Arthur Weasley being attacked.

"Well - give her here, Hagrid - we'd better get this over with." Dumbledore took me into his arms and turned towards the Dursley's house. 

"Hold on a second," Sirius blocked Dumbledore. "What are you going to do to Rhea?" he narrowed his eyes.

Dumbledore sighed. "I am going to leave Rhea here, to be raised by Lily's sister, Petunia."

"But you know what Petunia is like, and I-"

"Sirius, I know that you are her godfather, but it would be good for her to grow up away from all the fame. Also, there might still be deatheaters who will target her, and she will be protected here by her mother's magic - as long as she lives with her relatives from her maternal side, she will be protected."

Sirius reluctantly moved aside, unable to think up a good rebuttal to the headmaster's reasoning. Hagrid spoke up. "Could I - could I say goodbye to her, sir?" He asked. After Dumbledore nodded, Hagrid bent down and planted a scratchy, whiskery kiss on my forehead. Then, he suddenly let out a howl.

"Shhh!" Professor Mcgonagall hissed. "You'll wake up the muggles!"

"S-s-sorry," Hagrid sobbed, taking out his large spotted handkerchief again, and buried his face in it. "But I c-c-can't stand it - Lily an' James are dead - an' poor Rhea off ter live with the muggles-"

"Yes, yes, it's all very sad, but get a grip on yourself, Hagrid, or we'll be found," Mcgonagall whispered, Patting Hagrid gingerly on the arm as Dumbledore stepped over a low garden wall and walked to the front door. He laid me down gently on the doorstep, then took out a letter and tucked it into my blanket.

He walked back to the others, and then stood there, watching me sadly with them. I turned over, with my back facing the four, and drifted off to sleep again, aware, unlike Harry, of the piercing scream that would wake me up in the morning.