ten.

chapter ten

SAPNAP AND GEORGE HAVEN'T stopped yelling yet

SAPNAP AND GEORGE HAVEN'T stopped yelling yet. Clay has his headset held away from his ears, but he can still hear the commotion.

"Are you done?" His snide comment is met with a renewed bout of 'ooooooh's' from Nick. Clay groans. "I'll mute you!" His threat is ignored. Since they won't take him seriously, he mutes himself instead. It takes three long minutes for their excitement to wear down ( he started a timer ).

"Clay?"

"He muted."

He waits a minute more before toggling the microphone back on.

"If you dickheads are done being middle schoolers, can I finish telling you what happened?" He'd only gotten to the part where he'd offered to save her from Christmas dinner. His friends were only going to freak out more. ( He feels a bit guilty for not calling them earlier, after all Christmas was a few days ago now. )

"Fine. Go on."

"I picked her up and we went to McDonald's. Around that time someone decided to call me because they couldn't get their stream deck working."

George falls silent. Clay isn't sure if his friend remembers every bit of the call, but then George sucks in a breath.

"Oh no."

"Yeah, George. Oh no."

"What? What am I missing?" Nick asks.

"I called him Dream."

"On speaker phone."

"Oh no," Sapnap mirrors them. The humor has left their voices. There's a deadly silence in his ears as no one dares to ask just what that means.

"And you're lucky I found one hell of a girl who cared more about my cat than the fact I'm Dream."

"She knows?" George sounds nervous. Worried. Clay lets out a slow breath.

"She does but I think that's okay. It wasn't awkward afterwards. We just talked for a long ass time and ate pizza. It was...really nice, actually."

"So it's alright if she knows?"

"I think so."

"That's good."

"She's a graphics major...designs websites and stuff. I want to help her out with that," Clay blurts. "I just want to see her do well, you know?"

"Oh my god. I get it. George...He's simping," Sapnap crows. Clay's forehead meets his desk. The sound of rattling technology makes his friends laugh.

"I can't defend myself," he admits. There's no point in even trying.

"She went home?"

"Yeah." He leaves out the part about her car. "When is it too soon to go visit her? She practically invited me over text."