fifteen.

chapter fifteen

HE LEFT HOURS AGO

HE LEFT HOURS AGO. Irena's been sitting in her apartment ever since, staring blankly at the television and wishing he was still here.

It's a Saturday. Izzy's been bugging her to hang out, but Irena isn't too sure she can deal with her bubbly best friend right now. She knows she doesn't have a choice...the eccentric girl will come bust the door down any minute.

Late January. Has it always been so dull? Her gaze wanders to the gray sky, clouds blocking out the sun and threatening to dump rain on the city. Will the sky ever be as bright as Clay's eyes are? It doesn't feel right without him here. She's dreading a night without him.

The telltale jingle of keys against her door tells her Izzy is here. The door flies open and her best friend tumbles inside. She's carrying take-out in one hand and a dozen brightly colored bags in the other.

"Hellooo," she choruses. "Earth to Irena!"

"I'm here, I'm here." She can't help the smile that spreads across her face. She can't help it. Izzy has such a contagious personality.

"I brought empanadas. From our favorite place. You better appreciate the dedication. I also went shopping and I want you to help me decide what looks best. And!" Her eyes narrow as she studies me. "I want to know why you've been so secretive lately. More like, who is making you so secretive. Obviously it's a guy but I want to know the details."

"Could be a girl," she shoots back. Izzy looks shocked for a moment.

"Is it? Oh my god that would be even better."

"No, unfortunately it's not," Irena teases. Izzy rolls her eyes. She carefully flicks her dirty blonde hair over her shoulder before digging through the bag of take-out.

"Don't get my hopes up like that."

"I won't. But yes, a guy." Irena hands Izzy plates to dish out the food.

"Please tell. Everything! You've been so secretive lately." Izzy pouts, moving to the couch. She flounces dramatically onto the couch. "Show me pictures, text messages, everything!"

"Remember when I texted you back in December that I was at Bayside and there was a cute guy?"

"Yes..." Izzy's eyes are starting to go wide. Irena smirks as she picks at the empanada on her plate.

"Would you believe me if I told you I ran into him again?"

"Did you?" Izzy breathes, enthralled in the story. Irena joins her on the couch, curling her legs under her.

"I did. In Orlando. I was shopping and I literally ran into him. We got to hang out a few times at his house until I came home. He's been here the past few days. I kid you not he left here a few hours ago."