⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ 𝟎𝟔 ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚗𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚢 𝚊𝚜 𝚊𝚖𝚊𝚣𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞, 𝚕𝚎𝚡𝚒𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚛𝚔

               𝐋𝐄𝐗𝐈𝐄 spent the next twenty minutes watching the scenery, picking at the grass with her hand that wasn't shaking, thinking. Thinking about her options. If her hand never got better than she had no shot at carrying on being a surgeon at all. Surgery was her life. It gave her the thrill every surgeon received when opening up a body. For Neurosurgeons, seeing a brain laid out on their OR table was amazing - removing difficult tumours was like Christmas Day. Cardio-surgeons lived to do heart transplants and complex surgeries. In Peds, most of the time the surgeons got to see children surviving. All specialties had their thing. The thing that they enjoyed. That made them work long hours, including the night shifts. And Lexie Stark could not imagine her life without that feeling. Without another scalpel in her rubber gloved hands. She sighed deeply, chucking a handful of grass away from her. It didn't go far, well, because it was grass and was like throwing a piece of paper.

"What did the grass ever do to you?" Lexie turned around, shocked. She saw Laura stood above her with two glasses of what looked like fresh lemonade.

"Thought you could use a refreshing drink in this heat." Laura smiled at her, handing her one. She then slowly sat down.

"Here, let me help." Lexie got up to take the other drink off of her and helped Laura to the ground carefully.

"How far along are you?" Lexie asked in her usual sweet voice.
"Far." Laura laughed. "Lila loves you. She was telling me about how she was planning a tea party for you guys later," Laura told the younger woman.

"Yeah, she's great." Lexie complimented both Lila and both Laura and Clint for their great parenting.
"Thank you for fixing her doll." Laura thanked her.

"It was no problem" Lexie waved it off.

"Lila said you were a real doctor?" Laura began to slowly ease into her questions she had.

"Surgeon. Neuro specifically." Lexie nodded. Laura stayed silent for a moment.

"So all the Starks are super intelligent then?" She chuckled.

"I suppose so. I went to Harvard when I was sixteen." Lexie explained.

"You didn't finish High School?"

"No I did. I just skipped two grades." She shrugged, pursing her lips together. "I wouldn't have been able to do so without my photographic memory though."

"Clint mentioned you had a photographic memory. He also seems to really like you." Laura smiled softly at the girl her family immediately took a liking to.

"Yeah. Tony's friends are kind of awesome." Lexie didn't even know she was doing it, but Laura caught onto her gaze. Lexie was staring directly at Steve Rogers.

"Captain America huh?" Laura teased her.

"What?" Lexie looked away, towards Laura instead, blushing deeply.

"I noticed the looks you kept giving each other." Laura nudged her playfully.

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Lexie denied, stammering as she shook her brown curls.

"It's cute." Laura carried on with the teasing.

"Well, have you noticed the thing between Bruce and Natasha?" Lexie tried to switch the subject. Laura knew what she was doing but went along with it.