Chapter 7

Ariel Winter as Elanor Payne 

Alexis stayed in bed for the rest of the night. She didn't want to be bothered by Camile and Elanors's questions. Alexis knew she would have a large bruise on her face so that it would be the topic of conversation. 

Calvin has always had a temper, but he had never put his hands on Alexis. The most he ever did was yell and storm out of the house. Alexis now knows that whenever he's angry with her, he is always left to go gamble. 

Calvin had nowhere else to go, so he did what he thought was best. And that angered Alexis. She was a good wife; she cooked and cleaned and did everything he asked for. Yet he wasn't happy. Calvin is so unhappy that he thought hitting Alexis was the best way to relieve his stress. Alexis wished he would've left and gambled like he always did. 

Alexis laid in bed as she scrolled through all of the old videos and photos saved in her phone. She barely recognized that, Alexis. The old Alexis that used to smiled all of the time. She missed it, and she doesn't know if it could get back to her old self. 

The door opened, and she heard it gently shut close. Soft footsteps made their way to the bed, and she felt the bed dip. Alexis felt large hands grip her side and turn her over. 

Alexis placed the phone down in front of her and stared into Calvin's blue eyes. His eyes traveled her face, and he pulled her closer. 

"I'm sorry," Calvin said. 

Alexis resisted the urge to roll her eyes. He was always sorry, but he always turned around to do the same thing. 

Calvin sighed and gently grabbed Alexis' chin, "I know it's hard to believe me, but I'm truly sorry. I know I say this every time, and I fall back into the same situation. But I'm serious this time. I will do everything I can to do better." 

"How can I believe that? It's an endless cycle of 'I love you' and 'I'm sorry,'" Alexis said. 

Calvin's thumb rubbed Alexis's chin, and he nodded his head. "I will do whatever I can to make you happy. I want to make you as happy as we were when we were younger when we were getting married." 

Alexis looked at the picture that was on her phone. Calvin had his arms around Alexis's body, and they were smiling. They took that picture a week after they got married. It was on December 2. They had black hats on, and the snow-coated the hats perfectly. 

They decided to take those pictures as part of their wedding photos. It was perfect. They were happy, but Alexis knew they would never be the same. 

Alexis set up in her spot and put her phone to the side. Calvin followed her movements and sat cross-legged in front of Alexis. 

"If you want to make me happy, you have to start being real with me. I have to demand every situation or problem, I tell you, but you never tell me what's wrong with you. Also, we need to see a counselor," Alexis said, playing with the necklace Calvin gave her. 

"A counselor? For what?" Calvin questioned. 

"To help fix us. You and I both know that we will never resolve our problems without someone helping us out and giving us advice. I want us to see the counselor your mother and father saw."