Chapter 3

After lunch with Elijah, Alexis went home. Once Alexis arrived home, she saw Calvin sprawled out on his favorite black chair. Papers were all over the floor and on the coffee table. She didn't even think about going into the living room and touch his papers.

Instead, she went into the kitchen to prepare for dinner. She needed to clean the dishes and prep his lunch. Alexis's mind wandered off to Elijah. He was polite and easy to talk to. They exchanged numbers, and they were planning to have lunch pretty soon.

Just as Alexis placed her bags down in the kitchen, she can hear Calvin wake up from his nap. He coughed, and she heard paper rustling. She began to put the food in the cabinets and refrigerator.

"Alexis," Calvin said from the living room.

"Yes, my love," Alexis said.

She turned, and she saw Calvin standing at the entrance of her kitchen. He had his hands folded against his chest, and he stared holes into Alexis's body. His hair was tossed in every direction, and his cheeks were flushed.

"What took you so long?" He questioned. His voice was hoarse, which told Alexis he slept for at least two hours.

Alexis placed her hands on her hips, and she bit her lip. She wanted to ask him the same question; why did it take him long to get home last night? Instead, she settled on a soft smile and a lie.

"Amber asked if I wanted to have lunch, and I said yes," Alexis said.

Calvin watched Alexis with his keen eyes. Alexis kept her eyes away from him as she opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. Calvin walked over to her and gripped her waist.

"You're lying," Calvin said.

Alexis's eyes went wide, and she looked up at her husband, "What? I was with Amber. Why would you say I was lying?"

"We've been together for nine years," He held up five fingers before continuing. "I know when you are lying, your cheeks redden right before you speak, and you bit your lip. Now tell me who you were really with."

Alexis placed her bottle on the counter and said, "I'm not lying. I haven't seen Amber in weeks. I wanted to catch up with her."

Calvin didn't say a word, and Alexis stared at him. She knew any more words would give it all away.

"You're lying. You were with that Elijah guy, weren't you? Are you cheating on me?" Calvin questioned, and Alexis felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach.

She stared at him with a confused look on her face, and she took a step back. Calvin's accusing her of cheating, even though he's been out on business trips for weeks with his secretary.

"You are not accusing me of cheating. I did go to lunch with Elijah, but that was it. I ran into him while I was eating lunch at the diner, and he joined me," Alexis spoke.

Calvin let out a bitter laugh, and he ran a hand through his hair. "I should've known you were going to step out on me. After all that I've given you, you repay me by cheating."

"Me? What about you? You go on business trips with your whore of a secretary. You come home smelling like her!" Alexis shouted."I've been faithful to you and only you."

"My secretary is around me every hour of the day when we work together. Of course, I'll smell like her," Calvin said, taking a step closer to Alexis.

Alexis stared at Calvin again before she turned away. She placed her hands on her kitchen island and took a deep breath. She didn't believe a word he said and vice versa.