Chapter 19

Alexis sat in the emergency room, her hands folded over her lap. Her leg bounced up and down as she waited patiently for the doctors to come out. Calvin got into a car accident; he was drunk, and so was the other driver.

He had called her, and she heard the entire crash through the phone. She saw it too, she was walking to the corner store, and his car was right by the hotel, so she saw the whole thing happen. Alexis called his mother and sister and let them know what happened, and they arrived an hour ago.

They were already on their way because of a strange call from Calvin. So they all waited in the emergency room. Elanor and Camile talked with themselves silently, and Simon watched everyone around them.

"Alexis, I'm so happy you are here," Camile said, her eyes red from crying. "I know that you and Calvin aren't in the best place, but I'm happy you are here for him."

Alexis nodded and said, "I just want to make sure he's okay, then I'm going back to the hotel."

"How could you be like that? Calvin is your husband, and you don't even want to stay by his side?" Elanor said, her hand rubbed her growing belly. Alexis heard she was having twins, a girl and a boy.

"I don't want to stay. I loved him, and he took it for granted and cheated on me with my best friend. As his wife, I want to know if he's okay, but I'm not staying."

Camile started to cry some more, and Elanor stared with a look of disbelief. Alexis didn't care if she sounded heartless or if it was rude, but it was the truth. He treated her like shit these last three years of their relationship, and he's only upset because he got caught.

"The Family of Calvin Davidson?" A doctor spoke as she came out of the back area.

Everyone stood up and walked over to the doctor. The doctor placed his hands behind his back, and Alexis had a feeling that wasn't a good sign. She was wearing a white coat over her navy blue scrubs; her hair was in one of those caps. Her name tag read Dr. Greene.

"Hi, everyone. I'm Dr. Greene. I will be taking care of Calvin while he's here," Dr. Greene said, her eyes looking over everyone. "Good news and bad news. Calvin is doing fine, but he's in pain. He doesn't want to take his meds until he speaks with everyone. The bad news is that he broke his leg and two ribs. His breathing is going to be labored because one of the ribs punctured his left lung. But, he is expected to recover fast."

Camile was crying again as she said, "Thank you, Dr. Greene. May we see him?"

"He wants to speak with his wife, Alexis, first. Then you will be able to see him. But please make it quick because he needs to take his medicine," The doctor said.

Camile, Simon, and Elanor stared at Alexis. Alexis shrugged and followed the doctor through the hallways. They passed by endless rooms of people sick or injured, and Alexis wondered what happened to them.

They entered the room Calvin was in, and Alexis stared at her husband. He looked horrible; his hair tossed in every direction. His eyes had dark circles around them. His leg was in a sling that was propped up by something that hung up from the ceiling.

Calvin turned his head, and his eyes landed on Alexis. Alexis almost felt bad for him, but she wasn't going to allow herself to feel pity against him.

"I didn't think you were going to come," Calvin's voice was raspy and labored.

Alexis only shrugged and walked over to the end of the beg, "I only came to see if you were okay. I saw the accident."