Chapter 4

(A picture of Candace)

Alexis stayed in bed for the next week. Calvin had an unexpected business trip to New York, and he doesn't know when he's going to be home. Alexis couldn't figure out if it were a lie or not. Although, his secretary has called several times to have Alexis fax over some paperwork. 

Alexis felt alone. Amber was in Cancun with her husband, so she didn't have anyone to talk to. Days like this, Alexis wished she was in contact with her mother and father. But since she married Calvin, her family cut ties with her. 

They didn't even attend her wedding because they refused to support her and her husband. When Alexis was twenty years old, she had a pregnancy scare. She missed her period for three months, and she took a pregnancy test, and it was positive. 

She was so happy, but when she went to the doctor, they said it was a false positive. They did some tests, and they found out she wasn't going to be able to have children. The doctor said it was a five percent chance of her getting pregnant, and if she did get pregnant, there was a possibility that her baby wouldn't make it. 

Calvin and his family were very supportive. They helped her with therapy, and they took care of her. Her parents threw her out of the house because she got pregnant before she was married. 

Alexis and Calvin tried over and over and over again to get pregnant, to be the odds. But, she was never able to conceive. That was a month or two after they got married. They stopped after a while, but two years later, they tried again. 

All Alexis wanted was a big happy family. Her family and her husband's family together on the major holidays.  But Alexis would never get that. No matter how hard she tried, she will never have a happy home. 

Alexis was pulled out of her thoughts by the sound of her ringtone. She paused the movie she was watched and grabbed her phone off her nightstand. Honeybun read at the top of her screen. 

"Hello," Alexis spoke through the phone. 

There was rustling on the other end before Calvin responded, "Hey. How's everything going?" 

"Everything is okay. How's New York?" Alexis asked as she took a bite out of her sandwich. 

"It could be better. We are on the verge of closing this mess. I should be home tomorrow night," Calvin said. 

"What exactly happened?" 

"One of our clients was wrongfully accused, but since he went to jail and was murdered in jail. His family is suing us, the police, and the state," Calvin said. More rustling can be heard. "It's been crazy lately. We were supposed to have the file sent out earlier last week, but Candence somehow to submit them." 

"Mm, so were you able to get the files out in time?" Alexis asked, taking another bite out of her sandwich. 

"Yes, but that's why I went to New York. To hand-deliver the files to our headquarters. We made it by one minute," Calvin said. 

Alexis can hear talking on the other end of the phone before Calvin finally responded. "I have to go. I'll either be home tomorrow night or Friday afternoon. I will call you in the morning for any updates. Candace is stopping by to bring some files. She should be there soon. I have to go. I love you. Bye." 

Alexis mumbled a bye before the phone hung up. The doorbell rang just as Alexis put her phone down. Alexis got out of bed and put on her slippers. She made her way down the stairs and opened the door. 

Candace stood at the door with an annoyed look on her face. She was wearing a short black dress that stopped mid-thigh, and it was cut low at the neckline. Her brown hair was curled over her shoulder. A large brown box was in her hands.