18

_______________________

"Why do I smell blood on you, Taehyung?"

_______________________

Jimin watched, from the tall windows he and Jungkook had installed into their office, with fascination as snow danced in the light, a choreographed ballet conducted by the gentle wind. He had to come to the office today as it was Jungkook's turn to be with Taehyung, at home— all three of them preferred when at least one of them was at their house for the other two to come home to.

He wished he could be as light as the snow he saw— not a worry in heart or soul because at least then he didn't have to fret over the constant fear of being found for what he truly was. A monster.

That's what he was called in fairytales & myths, a monster.

Did he choose this? No, of course not.

Jimin's time was not marked by choice.

Because no, he never woke up one morning thinking "You know what I want out of life? I want to become a blood sucking creature that's shunned by the society for the rest of eternity!" Instead he woke up after an extremely unfortunate night out in a trench, with blood in his mouth and no memory of the past seven days.

It was almost three to four decades ago but Jimin remembers it all like it was yesterday. He shivers.

And to think he was only 16, had a whole life in front of him but thinking back on it now— he wouldn't have met his soulmates if he weren't turned that night.

It was simply the entangled ways of fate.

The cruel, daunting ways of destiny.

Jimin knows the feeling of having a venom sinking into his body and slowly ripping the humanity out of him. He knows what it feels like and he doesn't want anyone— especially Taehyung— to go through that.

He doesn't want Taehyung to live millions of years, slowly losing the concept of life & time itself.

But deep down Jimin knew they'd have to change the human otherwise there'd be a huge possibility that he could get gravely injured.

He promised himself that he'd be there for the Taehyung, like Jungkook was there for him. Make sure that Taehyung went through his fledgling phase safely and unharmed.

Jimin would fiercely protect his soulmate from any other creature that tries to hurt him.

Because he knows from experience that vampires weren't ones to share. When something important to them is threatened a vampire will go into protective overdrive in an attempt to keep that thing safe, because they have trouble processing both their immortality and survival instincts in fight or flight situations.

And more often than not, they'll fight to death for what is theirs.

This is one of the reasons why most vampires decide to live and love within their own broods— and everyone's okay with that.

Because unlike werewolves, who are undeniably social and deep down less hot-headed than them, vampires tend to get more worked up easily.

And almost always, at least three deaths would be reported everyday if someone they cherish is threatened.

That was in the past though— yes they still do get territorial over their loved ones but it was more of an immense need to isolate which results in high adrenaline and abrupt crashes, with a strong need to protect.

Most broods have come together, their leaders signing a peace treaty agreeing to create a coven for their own protection.

It was easier that way to hide from those who wanted to hunt and destroy their bonds. Those who wouldn't spare a single glance at them after tearing them all apart piece by piece.