Chapter 6: Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue

The buttery smell of pancakes wafted up to my nostrils as I rushed downstairs.

In the kitchen, Mom poured orange juice into three plastic cups. Our cat, Midnight, hopped on the table to sniff around. When I entered the small kitchen a bit further. I saw Rick standing over my mom, placing a light kiss on top of her head. When he lifted his head, there was a worried expression on his stern face. The lines around his gray eyes stood out, and there was a small hint of gray at his temples. Rick was older than my mom, around in his late forties, lounging around in our house with no job at the moment. I couldn't understand what my mom sees in worthless men like Rick, who doesn't help her with bills but liked to sit around and drink yeasty beer all day.

"Hey, Sunny. Good morning," Mom greeted me, wiping the counter off with a cloth towel. It was so uncanny to see her in this kind of state. She wasn't usually up in the mornings to cook breakfast like this; I wasn't sure how to feel about it. "Would you like some eggs and bacon?"

"No, I'm good," I said, even though I would like to stay and have breakfast with my mom. But I decided to pass because I wasn't a fan of Rick living with us. "I have to get to school." I walked over and placed a kiss on my mom's cheek. "Sorry, I love you."

I grabbed my bag for school and made my way to the door. Mom and Rick said nothing about me not wanting to have breakfast with them. I gripped my hand on the doorknob and yanked it open to see someone I wasn't expecting. Actually, scratch that off. It was Jace with his curly hair slicked back today, which was kind of hot. He stared at me with wide eyes. His finger was nearly about to press on the doorbell, but luckily I opened it just in time to know it was him and his sweet face.

"Jace?" I said.

"Sunny?" He said it back.

I blushed. "Is everything good?"

"Yeah, I was going to ask you if you want a ride to school." He nervously spoke and added. "If that's okay with you."

"Sure," I nearly squealed like a silly fangirl who was talking to her celebrity crush for the first time. "I would love that ride to school."

With no hesitation, I followed Jace to his almost beat-up blue Chelvoret truck once again. He opened the passenger door for me as I slid inside. I was starting to feel special all over again with this unexpected kindness from him. He then drove off onto the street. It was a bit awkward between us. I didn't know what it was. Every time I was around him, I sensed this big, invisible elephant in the room. It was like neither of us was afraid to say something to each other, whether it was uncool or outrageous. But Jace didn't even care that I was swiveling the radio until I found a song we both liked. Blue Monday by New Order. The one thing I picked up was that Jace and I had the same taste in music. We both had our share of favorites when it came to indie and rock music.

New Order - Blue Monday

"I love that," I blurted.

"Totally," he agreed.

The long song continued to play until we got to Tanglewood. "Thanks for the ride and cool music," I said to Jace, closing the door.

"Anytime," he said.

We walked inside through the main entrance, where the administration was. I saw Tegan, Quinn, and Mila sitting at a long table set up in the lobby. A bunch of people were standing in a line, signing something on that table. I noticed closely that Rachel wasn't with her friends at that table.

"Sunny!" Mila shouted in the loudest voice of the bunch. "Come here!"

Confused, I walked over to their table and spotted a salmon-colored form filled with different signatures for the annual homecoming the following Friday in September. I slowly realized the girls were all part of a club at our school that created and organized events such as homecomings, prep rallies, winter formals, Valentine dances, prom, and more. The theme for Homecoming Week was Masquerade on Bourbon Street, scribbled on the flyers next to the sign-up form. The people at Tanglewood have to wear masquerade masks with either beads or feathers in the hopes of being the homecoming king or queen. Whoever the homecoming king and queen were won five hundred dollars for them to split. It looked interesting and fun, but then again, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go. I didn't want to be under the harsh spotlight.