Chapter 4: A Chaotic Mess

I walked out of the woods instantly with quick steps. Tre was calling my name from behind, and I didn't look back. The trail led me right back into the pool area. I needed to find Jace immediately because I didn't feel comfortable staying at the party any longer after what just happened in the woods. I shouldn't leave Tre all alone without explaining to him what I heard and saw. Maybe it was just a squirrel or bird that made the snapping noise, but then an icy feeling swept up my spine.

My mind flashed back to Tre and the sweet kiss we shared. His mouth tasted like cigarettes and, surprisingly, peaches. The feeling made me want to kiss him all over again. My first kiss with him will be something worth remembering.

I was glancing across the backyard looking for Jace, who I left all alone, and got caught up with Tre. I walked around large crowds to feel that the party was still going. Jace wasn't anywhere near my sight, and I began to grow nervous. Because without him, how was I going to get home?

"Chicken fight!" Someone from the pool yelled.

I stood there and saw the guys take their shirts off and the girls strip down until they were in their bras and underwear. They all jumped into the glimmering pool as small speckles of water landed on me. I didn't care one bit until I saw something.

My gaze was fixated on someone burbling up from the surface. He was tall with light brown hair, glorious skin, and such a sex goddess. His torso was lean and rocked hard, with slightly-visible abs. His stance made some girls pause and ogle at him. It didn't take a single second to realize it was Jace.

"He's a beautiful specimen." I turned around at that voice to see Quinn behind me, taking a long sip from her red cup. "You could never stand a chance with a hottie like him."

I made a noise at her uncalled comment and turned. Jace was walking toward me with water dripping from his body in all aspects. The muscles in his neck and arms relaxed when he saw me in the crowd filled with loud music.

He sighed in relief and asked. "God, what took you so long?"

"U-Uh, it-it was a girl thing." Shit. I didn't feel the need to tell Jace that I was in the woods a few minutes ago, kissing Tre, and then hearing an odd noise afterward. I came up with a clever lie instead.

"Oh, okay." He stared at me with those light green eyes, sensing something was off. "I was getting worried. I thought you were never going to come back."

"No," I said, twisting a lock of my hair. If that were to occur, then I wouldn't be standing in front of him at the moment. "It was clear that I was thinking the same about you."

I spun and noticed that Quinn had disappeared somewhere at the party. I could've sworn she was hovering over me, saying that I couldn't be with someone like Jace, almost saying he was way too hot for me and I was not.

But anyway, it was getting late for me, and I felt like the night was never going to end with such craziness.

"I think I am ready to go home," I informed Jace.

"Sure, I'll take you home," he said smoothly. I watched as he stopped at a pile of clothes that probably belonged to the people who were in the pool. His gray sweatpants were laid out on the grass. He put them on before pulling down his black shirt and slipping on his shoes.

I sweetly blushed. I was getting a two-to-two special of seeing Jace without his shirt and in his boxers.

It was a stunning night for a drive with Jace in his truck. The window was down on the passenger side, and I was enjoying every bit of it. I loved it when the cool air was blowing through my hair and the stars twinkled brightly in the jet-black sky. I was feeling so good and so free that I didn't honestly want this night to end anytime soon. But it did when Jace pulled up into his driveway.