Chapter 32: Farewell, My Friend

After watching a comical film back at the Harrison Mar hotel, Mila steered her dark gray SUV onto my street, a shitty neighborhood in Tanglewood with old-looking houses and front yards that were poorly-maintained. This part of town wasn't considered the American Dream—unlike some places—just sad and pathetic. The only sound that occurred to capture this scene was a sad song playing softly on the radio in Mila's car.

"Thanks for the ride home," I said, breaking the silence.

Mila shot me a friendly look. "No problem, Sunny. I should be the one thanking you."

I slumped down in the seat. "Of course, call me if you ever need anything. I am here for you."

Mila fell into silence again. She wasn't her complete self ever since someone close to her was murdered, turning away whenever one of her friends tried to insert her into our joking session and shrugging off my suggestion that we should get some gelato this time at night. I wished I knew the right words for how to comfort her, but it was already challenging enough for me as well.

After passing by three small homes—two of which had a pile of junk and garbage on the curb—Mila arrived at my house in minutes. "Who's that at your door?" she blurted.

"Shit," I said under my breath.

I followed her gaze. A tall, dark figure stood in front of my door, and I automatically knew it was Jace. Mila's headlights shimmered on his face, which looked like it was in a shade of irritation when he saw us.

I got out of the car and closed the door. "Hey," I approached him so nervously.

My eyes were on Jace's perfect face. The corners of his kissable pink lips fluttered into an unwanted scrowl. His blue-greenish eyes blazed, and his light-brown curls stood up. He stood closely at the front of my house, probably waiting for me to show up. I whipped my head around to see Mila staring, but I gave her a signal through my eyes that I was safe enough before she slowly pulled off down the street.

I walked up to Jace to lean in for a hug, but he quickly stood back away from me, as if I had germs seeking out my skin pores. Whatever was in the chilly air tonight didn't feel as pleasant as I thought it would be with him.

"What's wrong?" I asked in a small voice.

Jace made an ugly noise at the back of his throat. "You have been really fake and distant with me. I don't like it."

A random vehicle zoomed down the street in haste; its lights illuminated our interaction. I was overly stunned at his sudden hostile tone. I just sighed. "I'm really sorry, Jace. Things had been so weird and I..."

"Are you sorry, though? These damn excuses, Sunny..." Jace cut me off, scoffing and crossing his big arms over his chest. "You're sorry for not answering my text messages and calls. I am over here worrying sickly about you. But you're sorry other than the fact that you cannot even look at me right now?"

I took in his tall and strong stance, feeling a hint of sadness in his voice. I didn't know what to say or how to satisfy him anymore. My heart was getting torn because he still didn't know what Tre and I were about to do during that unforgettable night when things took a massive turn. I refused to tell him the truth, but I knew I had to one day. I couldn't continue stringing him along over something that was slowly dying for us. I was hurting him even more, and he failed to recognize this.

"I'm sorry." The words burned and clogged up my throat. I looked away as my eyes felt suddenly warm. "It's just been hard."

"Is it hard that you met someone else?" Jace firmly said so, as if he had strangely read my mind. The veins on his neck pop like bright colors. "Is that who you were in the car with?"