two

"C'mon," Chaeyoung laughed softly, watching Lisa hop around the room on one foot, attempting to get her shoes on. The younger girl giggled and fell back on the bed, finally tugging on the second shoe.

"Where are we going?" Lisa asked, tilting her head to the side. She stared questioningly at her shoelaces before looking up at Chaeyoung.

"The mall," Chaeyoung informed her, bending down and knotting Lisa's shoelaces. "You need new shoes. And clothes."

"I do?" Lisa furrowed her eyebrows, looking down at her shoes. They seemed perfectly fine to her.

"You've practically worn holes into these shoes," Chaeyoung laughed, standing up and motioning for Lisa to follow her. "Plus, you need an actual winter coat. Even though it's January, winter doesn't look like it's gonna end anytime soon."

"Oh," Lisa nodded once and studied Chaeyoung's face. "You are mad at me."

Now it was Chaeyoung's turn to be confused. "Mad?" she raised an eyebrow. "What makes you think I'm mad at you?"

"I was bad," Lisa shook her head and followed Chaeyoung across the parking lot. Once they reached the car, the younger girl sighed softly and buckled herself into the passenger seat.

"Are you talking about last night?" Chaeyoung asked as they pulled out of the parking lot. Lisa nodded hesitantly.

"I ruined it," Lisa crinkled her nose. "Why am I like this?"

"Because you're you," Chaeyoung shrugged and reached over to lace their fingers together. She wasn't going to deny that Lisa was different. The girl already knew that. Chaeyoung just wanted to make sure that Lisa didn't owe anyone an apology for the way she was.

"And I am stupid," Lisa muttered, shaking her head and looking down.

"Lili..." Chaeyoung sighed. "You're not stupid." This conversation had become a recurring one lately.

"But I do not..." Lisa groaned and pulled her hand out of Chaeyoung's. "I do not want to talk right now," she mumbled, shaking her head and pressing her forehead against the window.

Sighing, Chaeyoung retracted her hand back to the steering wheel. She wasn't sure anything she said would make Lisa believe her.

The rest of the car ride was practically silent. Lisa didn't understand the tension between them. Was Chaeyoung mad at her? The girl had been annoyed with her the night before.

Lisa squeezed her eyes shut. Everyone must be annoyed with her. They didn't understand. She took a deep breath, like she's been taught to do when she was feeling anxious.

"We're here," Chaeyoung said softly, pulling into an open parking spot. Lisa lifted her head and studied the large building in front of them. She suddenly felt increasingly nervous.

The minute she got out of the car, she scurried over to Chaeyoung's side and held onto her forearm. The last thing she wanted was to be separated from the other girl. Chaeyoung was her security, her safety. Without her, everything was ten times scarier.

Chaeyoung looked over at Lisa, biting her lip as she led the younger girl into the mall. "I'm not going anywhere, Lili," she laughed softly. Lisa looked up at her and Chaeyoung could see the nervousness in her features.

"C'mon, it's less crowded in here," Chaeyoung pulled them both into the first clothing store she could find. Lisa relaxed slightly, following behind Chaeyoung when she began to search through the racks of clothes.

"For you," Lisa giggled, pulling a pair of cat ears off of one of the displays and holding them out for Chaeyoung to see.

Chaeyoung crinkled her nose and shook her head, taking the cat ears and putting them back where Lisa found them. "We're not shopping for me, anyway. We're trying to find clothes for you."