twenty five

"You've gotta take off your shoes, silly," Chaeyoung nudged Lisa towards the security check, slipping off her own boots and tossing them into one of the plastic bins. Lisa followed suit, placing her white converse carefully beside Chaeyoung's shoes.

"One at a time," Chaeyoung whispered, gently pushing Lisa in the direction of the large metal detector. Hesitantly, Lisa walked forwards and waited for Chaeyoung to do the same.

"See? Not so bad," Chaeyoung laughed, grabbing Lisa's hand and adjusting her backpack on her shoulder. "Now all we have to do is wait until our plane gets here. We're gate..." she pulled the ticket out of her pocket. "A21. So somewhere down there," she pointed down one of the long hallways.

Smiling widely, Lisa followed Chaeyoung as they made their way to their gate. Something else caught Lisa's eye, though, and she let go of Chaeyoung's hand to check it out.

The Thai girl padded over to the front of the gift shop, making a beeline for the rack of hoodies. Chaeyoung raised an eyebrow, jogging after her to see what she had found.

"Look, Rosie," Lisa help up a blue hoodie with the words 'I ♥ New York' in white lettering. Chaeyoung nodded, acknowledging that she'd seen the sweatshirt.

"Can I get it?" Lisa tilted her head to the side slightly. "It is your favorite color," she nodded, clutching the hoodie to her chest and moving to whisper in Chaeyoung's ear. "And I am your favorite girl, right?"

Laughing, Chaeyoung took the hoodie from Lisa's hands and studied it for a moment. "You're a goofball," she laughed, nudging Lisa towards the cash register and handing her back the hoodie. "Go put it up there."

Lisa glanced up at Chaeyoung hesitantly but the blonde girl gave her a supportive smile. Taking a deep breath, Lisa padded over and laid the hoodie on the counter.

"Hi," Lisa said softly. The cashier gave her a small smile and scanned the hoodie. Putting a comforting arm around Lisa's shoulder, Chaeyoung handed the cashier her credit card.

"Can I put it on?" Lisa asked quietly once they made their way out of the store with the bag in tow. Chaeyoung laughed, taking the bag from Lisa's hand and unfolding the hoodie. She helped the younger girl tug it on over her shirt.

Lisa smiled happily in the hoodie, even though she had chosen one that was two sizes too big for her. Chaeyoung thought she looked adorable with the extra long sleeves. Lisa shook her arms a few times so she could wiggle her hands through the openings.

"My favorite girl in my favorite color," Chaeyoung teased, leaning in and kissing Lisa's nose. She didn't mind the stares she got from people. She didn't mind at all.

With Lisa, things that usually mattered to her didn't matter. Chaeyoung tended to get too worked up over everything. If someone looked at her the wrong way, she'd panic. But now, she had Lisa. When she was with Lisa, her only focus was Lisa. They were both in their own little world, and nothing could ruin that.

"Thank you, Rosie," Lisa smiled and pulled Chaeyoung into a hug. "I like this better than my last plane."

"Your last plane?" Chaeyoung raised an eyebrow. Lisa nodded, grabbing Chaeyoung's hand and pulling her forwards before she could ask any more questions.

"Right here," Chaeyoung pointed to the sign above their gate. Lisa clapped her hands and sat down in one of the black chairs. Chaeyoung sat beside her, pulling out her phone and handing Lisa one of her ear buds.

The girls listened to music while they waited to board their plane. About twenty minutes later, she was being pulled down the aisle by an excited Lisa, who was eager to get a window seat.