Shattered Windows

Art by boats-n-spoons on tumblr

This takes place in season 6

Grian has been having nightmares and hallucinations about his past. Has it finally taken its final toll on him?

========✄--------------

Grian bolted straight up from his bed, cold sweat ran down his face as he tried to get his breathing under control. He placed a hand over his heart to feel its erratic beating against his ribs, like a bird trying to escape a cage.

Which he guessed was how he felt at the moment. He shakily stretched out his wings, the only good thing he got from his past. He looked out the window to find that it was still the middle of the night, reflections of the water dappled his body and floor in a trying-to-be-calming matter.

Grian just couldn't shake the feeling off of him. He glanced at the clock to see that it was only 11:47 PM. He hadn't even lasted 5 minutes with his eyes closed. He let out a defeated sigh as he slowly took the covers off of him and got out of bed.

He walked into the bathroom and turned on the light, temporarily blinding himself. Once his eyes adjusted to the brightness he inspected himself in the mirror. The dark eye bags were evidence enough of his sleeping struggles.

He glanced at the concealer that Stress had confusedly lended him a while ago. He considered applying it like he had many times before, but decided not to. It's not like anyone would see him this late into the night anyways.

========✄--------------

How long had it been? 6? Maybe 7 days since he last had at least 4 hours of sleep. Not because he didn't want to! Well... partially because he didn't want to. The nightmares, fragments of memories long stowed away, kept coming to the surface every night he slept for days on end.

They only used to come once or twice every few months, but lately he has had one every night for the past week. It got to the point where he woke up screaming out for help. Which Mumbo heard since he was so close, and so Grian had to try and get his way out of talking about it to him.

.....That was at least five days ago. He had been avoiding the hermits to avoid giving any of them an explanation. His wings ached from overuse, having been taking long flights to try and clear his head of their paranoid thoughts and actions.

It was getting so bad that he had started imagining things. Hallucinations had started plaguing him for three days now due to the lack of sleep.

He was currently sitting on a cliff that overlooked the ocean. The slight taste of sea salt helped to clear his head a little. He was fine. It was..... peaceful. Until-

"Griaaaaan!" At first he thought that it was just the whisper of the ocean mist upon his ears. but upon hearing it again he began to frantically look around for evidence that someone else was with him.

"Griaaaaan!" Again. The voice sounded warped, as if something wasn't quite right about it. He looked out towards the ocean and felt his heart nearly stop when he saw two figures flying towards him in the moonlight.

No! They can't take me back! He scrambled to get up and already was about to take off when he took on last glance. A quick flash of green was all it took to convince the rest of Grian to take off.

It was the fastest he ever flew and the wind sounded like fireworks. He took another glance back, eyes wide in terror as he saw the two watchers that kept him captive chase him through the air.

"You can't take me away! I refuse!" They kept calling his name and saying things to him, trying to get his attention, saying things about home. That place wasn't home. By now Grian's eyes were streaming tears that were immediately whipped away by the wind.

He could finally see his base in the distance. He smiled at the sight, knowing that he could quickly hide from them in there. Once he got close he took one final glance back to see how far ahead he was. And instead of seeing the two watchers that plagued his nightmares for years he saw.....

"Mumbo...?" And it was then, in that moment of distraction, that Grian smashed through the glass wall of his base.

"Griaaaaan!!!" It sounded like hundreds of mini fireworks going off in his ears. And the tiny shards of glass looked like snowflakes as they reflected the moonlight and fell all around him. Grian got a glance of Mumbo's worried face and Iskall's glowing, green crystal eye before he promptly hit the ground and blacked out.

805 words

========✄--------------

If you want a part 2 just ask! If it happens it'll be more of a hurt/comfort chapter centered mainly around the Architechs.