Halo

This takes place in season 7

Grian goes to visit Mumbo while he's working on a project. Looks like he came over at precisly the wrong time.

========✄--------------

"Mumboooooo!" Grian had been looking around the server for Mumbo for a while. He vaguely remembered Mumbo mentioning a new project that he had began working on.

He began to regret not paying closer attention to the conversation. Although he wouldn't begin to admit it. The only detail that Grian muddly remembered was that the project had something to do with light.

In fact, that's why Mumbo had visited Grian earlier in the first place. He was requesting stained glass and obsidian. Grian finally got a break when he spotted Scar talking to Bdubs on the steps of town hall.

"Scaaaaar! Bduuuubs!" Grian bomb-dived down towards the two men, who yelped out in surprise before Grian swiftly and smoothly landed with a small skid to a stop.

"Grian! Well hello there, it's been a second. Hasn't it?" Scar quickly adjusted his monocle and took his hand off off the heart that was pounding in his chest.

"Hey guys! Uh, do either of you know where Mumbo went? I have something to show him and I've been looking for him and havn't spotted him anywhere," He glanced at both of them and was relieved when Bdubs spoke up.

"Uh, yeah! I saw him fly past Grumbot earlier. I think he's still over there if-" Before Bdubs could even finish his statement Grian took off, shouting a thank-you behind him.

That was one of Grian's flaws. He was a little flighty, no pun intended. As he flew off he immediately spotted Grumbot's box. He took a quick pit-stop and landed at the viewing window to take a quick peek.

He took a quick peek and saw that Grumbot was happy. He should visit sometime. Grian quickly shot off again towards the direction Bdubs pointed. He quickly spotted Mumbo on a man-made island.

He was working on some kind of tall contraption that involved lots of beacons and stained glass. It was roughly the height of where Grian was flying. He heard it power on before he called to Mumbo.

"Hey Mumbo!" Mumbo whipped his head around in a panic. He reached an arm out, as if trying to stop Grian.

"Grian no!!!" Before Grian could process why Mumbo looked scared there was a bright flash of light and the world went dark. He didn't pass out, but he began falling.

He heard Mumbo shout his name one more time before his body painfully hit and sunk into the water. He immediately began to panic.

========✄--------------

Finally! Mumbo had been planning this for the past few weeks. This one particular project however, was a special one. He was going to make a light show with colored beacons and fireworks.

He built a small island past Grumbot and built the machine.

"Alright, now I just need to do a test," Mumbo slipped the pair of goggles over his eyes. The entire reason he built the light-show so far away was because he didn't want to risk eye-damage or spoilers, but mostly eye-damage.

He flipped on a switch at the bottom of the redstone contraption and ran back to get a good look. It was loud as it powered on, redlamps turning on upwards as it reached the top. It was about to reach the top until...

"Hey Mumbo!" Oh no.

"Grian no!!!" Before Grian could heed or even process his warning a halo of light erupted from the pillar. And it hit Grian square in the face. Mumbo watched as Grian's body plummeted and then sunk into the water.

Mumbo ran to turn off the light show before any more damage could be done and then ran back to the edge of the island to try and spot Grian. He dived into the water, suit and all, towards where Grian was sinking and struggling to make himself upright.

Mumbo knew this wasn't the correct way to save someone from drowning, but it was the only think he could do. He grabbed Grian by his now water-logged red sweater and began to swim upwards.

As soon as both of their heads broke above the water they gasped, with Grian latching onto Mumbo like his life depended on it. Which, right now at least, it technically did. They got to the shore of Mumbo's fake island and could rest.

Grian was babbling things that were incoherent to Mumbo's ears. So Mumbo began to, well, mumble quiet things to try and get the smaller hermit to calm down enough to speak a clear sentence.

"M-m-mumbo? That- that's you right? You sa- you saved me!" Grian's eyes were still scrunched shut, slight burn marks covered that area of his face like a blindfold over his eyes. Tears that were now visible still managed to slip through.

Mumbo sat in front of Grian and gently grabbed his wrists in each hand to try and ground him, "Grian. I'm going to have to ask you to open your eyes for me."

"W-what?" Grian hiccuped and tried to wipe away the tears with his shoulder, but that only achieved in making his face wetter.

"Please open your eyes. For me, Grian," After a moment of hesitation Mumbo saw Grian's eyelids hesitantly cracked open. Grian usual bright hazel eyes, almost like honey and gold, were now faded. A white haze covering them.

"No no no no," Mumbo realized immediatly what he had done and held Grian close and tight to him. Grian, however, took a few seconds to process what had happened to him.

"Wha..... what... happened, to me?" Grian pulled away from Mumbo and stared at his hands. To him, they were blobs of barely recognizable shape and color and everything around him looked fuzzy.

"I-I can't-" Grian looked up to Mumbo, searching for some kind of comfort. Instead, however, he had to choke down a sob. He could barely recognize Mumbo. His mustache was  the only thing on his face that he could visibly see.

The redstone that commonly dusted his face like red stars had disappeared in his eyes, "I can't..... see."

With the fragile ice of the subject finally broken Mumbo began to cry into Grian's shoulder. He kept saying a variety of "I'm sorrys" and "It's my fault."

He had to find a way to reverse this or else he wouldn't be able to live with himself anymore.

========✄--------------

1091 words