Halo Pt. 2

As Mumbo and Grian softly cried into each other's damp clothes they heard fireworks in the distance, and they were coming closer. Mumbo didn't bother to move his head and look.

"Mumbooo?"

"Griaaan?" It was Scar and Bdubs. Grian perked his head up at the sudden names being shouted out however.

"Scar?.... Bdubs?...." Grian's call, however, was little more than a whisper to Mumbo. He then heard them land softly in the sand a few blocks behind him.

"Yeah, it's them," Mumbo sucked in a breath before shakily standing up and turning around.

"Hey Mumbo! What was tha- woah. Are, are you okay?" Both Scar and Bdubs happy demeanor and greetings morphed to one's of concern and worry. They could see that Mumbo's redstone dust freckles were now adorned with two wet tear streaks and puffy eyes.

"I messed up," Mumbo's voice was wobbly as he wiped his face, "I- Grian he-"

Mumbo suddenly stopped when he felt Grian grab his leg. He looked down to see Grian steadying himself to stand up.

"Oh, Grian! Hey buddy. What haaaa-, oh. Oh dear," As Grian looked to where he could only assume the other two hermit were, they suddenly seemed to get the picture.

"I'm-" He sucked in a breath and wiped his face before continuing, "Hi guys. I- I'm ok. For..... for the most part at least."

He then gave a pained smile that was supposed to convince the two, but it did the exact opposite instead. Of course, Scar and Bdubs wanted an explanation, and after a bit of nudging they finally got one.

By the end all of them were a bit teary eyed again and decided that it was a good idea to tell the rest of the hermits as soon as possible.

As they got to the shore and began to walk through the shopping district towards town hall all Grian could think about was what it looked like. Grian gently gripped Mumbo's elbow to help guide himself.

Once they were all in front of town hall Scar messaged Xisuma, saying that it was an urgent matter. In only a few minutes the four saw X walk into the shopping district from the portal below them.

"I came as soon as I could! What's wrong with Grian? Is he okay?" To make things short, the group of five slowly told the rest of the server. They didn't want to overwhelm Grian with the condition he was in.

Everyone tried to accommodate him for his new disability, but a lingering awkwardness would always hang in the air. In the early months, when the reality of the situation would strike Grian at random times, his fellow hermits would often find him crying.

Sometimes he would be gripping a random block or even his elytra in his arms. Along with muttering things about how he wished he could see. No one felt as bad for him however, as Mumbo did. And it was on one of those days when he was comforting Grian that he made a promise to him that he would never take back.

"Grian, I can promise you that, no matter what, I'll get you your sight back. Even if it takes me to the ends of the earth and kills me three times over."

549 words