Chapter 32🍏

Professor McGonagall's interrogation left Alexis both relieved and anxious ― she was off the hook for almost twisting her ankle tripping over a petrified Justin, but they were no closer to finding out who the attacker is.

She thought that the worst part was over since she's not held accountable for Justin; but after was much much worse.

For the next few days, which turned into weeks, everyone was wary of Alexis. They dropped the idea of Harry being the heir quicker than you could say 'Gryffindor' and had placed the blame on her.

People whispered in the hallways, looked at her with eyes filled with terror, and sometimes ran when they saw her coming. Rumours and theories circled the hallways, every day a new one for what felt like a hundred years. It was horrible.

To make matters worse, the Slytherins were delighted that it could be her, or rather, they were happy at the idea. A fearless witch among the ranks was something they all admired.

Months passed before it died down, but Alexis couldn't get rid of the feeling that it wasn't over.

Not yet.

One dark, grey afternoon, she walks into the common room and sees Crabbe and Goyle looking abnormally quiet, their heads turning left and right every so often.

She walks over to them and smiles, sitting down on the long sofa opposite them.

"Oh, Alexis, hi,"
"Yeah, hey," they greet stiffly.

She raises an eyebrow. They never greet her; they've always got their mouths stuffed with food.

"Hiii," she says slowly. "Why are you standing up?"

They sit down quickly, looking at each other awkwardly.

Malfoy then walks over with a newspaper clipping in his hand, a grin on his face.

"Your back, good, just in time," he says to Alexis, throwing himself on the sofa. "That'll give you a laugh," he says, throwing the paper at Crabbe.

While Crabbe and Goyle read the paper, Draco places his feet on Alexis' lap, putting his hands behind his head, enjoying using her as a footstool.

Alexis groans, pushing his feet off of her while Draco smirks, putting them back again. They repeat the interaction several times, laughing playfully, not realising that Crabbe and Goyle had finished reading and were now staring at them with wide eyes.

Goyle looks particularly disgusted, his eyebrows furrowed deeply.

"Well?" says Draco impatiently as Goyle hands the clipping back to him. "Don't you think it's funny?"

"Ha, ha," says Goyle bleakly.

"What's it say?" asks Alexis intrigued. Draco hands her the clipping and she reads it carefully.

The article's heading in bold makes her stomach churn. INQUIRY AT THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC. It's about Mr Weasley. He's been fined for the flying car Harry and Ron drove and Mr Malfoy is trying to get him fired.

Abruptly, the paper cut-out is snatched out of her hands from above. Alexis looks up to see Thea standing over her with Pansy.

"Merlin, they just can't catch a break, the poor family," says Thea grimacing, throwing the piece of paper back at Draco.

The girls sit on either side of Crabbe and Goyle, who shuffle closer to each other. Alexis stares at their scared faces and wonders why they're acting so weird.

"I hope Mrs Weasley sends another Howler. That would be hilarious," laughs Pansy, smirking wildly.

Draco grins, but Crabbe's ears turn a bright shade of pink.