Chapter 35🍏

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘷𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴. It's extremely faint and blurry as her senses come into focus. She stirs, like waking up from a deep sleep. Alexis moves her head to the side, shaking away the fuzzy feeling clouding her brain.

Gradually, her eyes open, everything blurry at first. There's a dim light somewhere in the room and she murmurs something intelligible as she awakens, her voice raspy.

Her throat is dry, really dry. Water is what she needs right now ― and a relaxer for her arm. It's really stiff, numb even.

"Heyyy, sleepyhead," says a familiar voice.

Alexis turns her head towards the sound and reopens her eyes, adjusting them to the darkness. It's Thea.

She scrambles to sit up, falling to the side of her bed as she can barely move. It feels like she's been paralysed. At this thought, panic settles in her, and suddenly she's moving too fast, everything coming back to her.

The discovery, the mirror, the Basilisk...

"Woah, woah, calm down. Madam Pomfrey said that you'd feel a little funny when you woke up since you haven't moved in a while."

She hasn't moved in a while? How long is a while exactly?

"What? H―how? Where is everyone?" she looks down at her bed and sees her free hand. She's not holding Hermione's. There's no one else here.

"Hermione? Where is she?" she squeaks, fearing the worst.

"She's fine. Everyone is fine. Potter figured it out and saved everyone... just like last time," she muses. "They're in the Great Hall at the midnight feast. You were the last one to get the mandrake draught which is why you're still here, so I decided to come and make sure you're okay."

"Wait... why are you here alone?"

Thea's face goes red and she clears her throat, scratching the side of her head.

"Thea..." whispers Alexis, her voice trembling. "Tell me."

Her friend huffs and looks down at her hands. "Yeah, about that... Obviously, he found out. Definitely a shock to him. Hasn't said a word about it ― about you, but we understood that basically... well, he doesn't want to be friends anymore with you. With us."

Alexis takes a sharp breath inwards, the reality slapping her in the face. She knew it was coming. It was only a matter of time, and Thea did warn her.

But she never wanted him to find out like this. She was meant to tell him when he was in one of his playful moods and they were having fun and being themselves.

A choking noise emits from her throat as she tries to hold back tears. "And Pansy? What about her?... Why isn't Pansy here Thea?"

"I think you already know, don't you?" she says, looking up at her. A guilty look plasters her face, and it breaks Alexis' spirit.

She starts crying, big sobs echoing around the empty infirmary room. Thea climbs onto her bed and hugs her, waiting patiently for her to calm down.

Pansy sided with Draco. She didn't even come to tell her to her face. She knew that Pansy would do pretty much anything to get Draco to notice her, but giving up her friend for him? That's just unbelievable.

"It's okay Lexi, it'll be okay," whispers Thea once Alexis has stopped crying. "I'll never leave you. You're my best friend, and best friends stick together through thick and thin. Besides, we make a great team," she adds.