Chapter 1🍏: Year 1

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘯 𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘴 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘭𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘈𝘭𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴' 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴, 𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘶𝘱 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱. She yawns lazily and sighs. It's Sunday and Alexis has very little time left before returning to school. She's glad to be able to spend time with her friends again, but she's not looking forward to having to deal with her not-so-nice classmates.

Ever since she could remember, Alexis had had problems managing her emotions, especially her anger. It always seemed to get the best of her, blurring her thoughts and controlling her mind.

But that wasn't all it did.

Alexis thought that she was mad, crazy, deranged even, but she was sure that whenever she was feeling something strong, mysterious things happened.

It seemed like the weather could tune in on her emotions and reflect whatever she felt.

Whenever she was sad, it would rain; when scared, electrical things would pulse and flash; when worried, a breeze would pick up and create a storm; when she felt embarrassed, things would somehow melt; and when she felt numb, she'd suddenly feel cold.

But when she was angry, anything appeared possible. In the middle of a fight, she once exploded all the lightbulbs in her kitchen.

These strange occurrences would take place whenever a feeling too intense for words came over Alexis, turning her into a freak in her classmate's eyes. She can't repress it, no matter how much she wishes she could, and everyone around her just thought she was either insane or stupid for thinking that she was capable of anything like that.

I mean, controlling the weather? Crazy.

Alexis stretches in her bed before peeling the covers off slowly and getting up. She stumbles blindly down the stairs, stopping at the front door to pick up the pile of letters that lay on the floor. She takes them with her into the kitchen and greets her parents who are sitting at the dining table talking.

"Good morning darling. Would you like some cereal?" 

Alexis nods her head and sits down at the table, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She flicks through the post, sliding the letters that are addressed to her parents across the table until her eyes meet her own name.

On the back of the letter are her name and exact address ―even where her bedroom is― in extremely neat and swirly handwriting.

𝑀𝓈 𝒜. 𝐻𝑒𝓃𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓍
   𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝒹 𝐵𝑒𝒹𝓇𝑜𝑜𝓂 𝑜𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝑒𝒸𝑜𝓃𝒹 𝒻𝓁𝑜𝑜𝓇
      𝟪 𝑀𝒾𝓈𝓉𝓁𝑒𝓉𝑜𝑒 𝐿𝒶𝓃𝑒
         𝒲𝑒𝓈𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝒹
            𝐿𝑜𝓃𝒹𝑜𝓃

Alexis flips the letter over and frowns. A logo is stamped neatly above the opening peak which is sealed with red wax, which also has the same logo embedded in it, but she doesn't recognise it.

Who uses wax to seal envelopes nowadays? she thinks.

"Mum, Dad, there's a letter from some Hogwarts. Strange name isn't it?" she voices as her finger slides delicately under the wax, breaking the elegant seal. Alexis' mum, Bella, comes back with her bowl of cereal and hums at her daughter's thoughts. Alexis lifts her spoon in the air and moves it towards her lips as she reads the letter, but it never makes it to her mouth.

Three gasps of shock resonate around the room, but all for different reasons. Bella gasped because Alexis dropped her spoon in her bowl, splashing milk and cereal all over her clean clothes; Alexis' dad, Cole, gasped because said milk splattered his newspaper, getting the pages all wet; and Alexis gasped because she couldn't believe what the letter was saying: she's a witch!