Chapter 24🍏

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘬𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘥 𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳, 𝘈𝘭𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘥. She'd spent the entire week hearing Draco turn Pansy down again and again and again.

It was an endless circle that was getting extremely tiring, even worse than Thea and Draco's bickering.

Every time she'd get rejected, Pansy would shoot a glare at Alexis as if it were her fault. There was this one time when she was leaving the library and she crossed paths with Pansy, who didn't even say hi to her. She just frowned and stormed down the hallway.

She wasn't even there so how was it her fault?

Early Saturday morning, Alexis gets up and gets changed. She puts on regular clothes, freed from her restricting uniform. Blue jeans, a mint green v-neck sweater and platform oxfords.

With her hair—or as much as she could gather—in a high ponytail, she writes a note for the girls telling them where she'll be and she leaves the dorm.

It's still dark out, a thin mist swirling, but the sky has already begun to turn a light yellow. She walks through the empty courtyard, the birds the only thing being heard.

The entire castle is asleep, so getting up early to watch the world wake up seemed ideal. Alexis walks past the Quidditch pitch and sits on top of a hill that overlooks the castle. It's perfect.

With her back against a tree, she watches the sky change colour. From yellow to orange, then to pink. The sun peeks out from behind the tower and she feels the warmth slowly creep on her face.

She'd never wanted to be alone before. Being surrounded by people, even those who didn't appreciate her, was better than being alone.

But at this exact moment, it just felt right.

With the sun now risen, she stands up and takes a deep breath before making her way back down to the castle for breakfast. As she passes through the courtyard, she sees the Gryffindor Quidditch team walking by with their brooms in hand.

She runs up and waves at Harry who's at the front.

When he sees her, he smiles happily, but it doesn't last long as they encounter the Slytherin team who seem to be heading in the same direction.

Olliver Wood, the captain, walks up to Marcus Flint and glares. "Where do you think you're going, Flint?"

Marcus casually grins. "Quidditch practice."

Oliver looks positively livid with rage. "But I booked the field!"

"I've got a specially signed note here from Professor Snape. 'I, Professor S. Snape, give the Slytherin team permission to practice today on the Quidditch field owing to the need to train their new Seeker.' "

Tensions grow with every second and Hermione and Ron appear beside the Slytherins, worried looks on their faces.

"You've got a new Seeker?" says Wood. "Who?"

From behind the large figures appears Draco, a smirk plastered all over his face.

Alexis' jaw falls, gobsmacked. He never told her anything about this.

Harry takes a step forward. "Malfoy?" he says in disbelief.

"That's right." He looks at Alexis and tilts his head to the side with a grin. "And that's not all that's new this year."

In sync, the whole Slytherin team switch the hand in which they're holding their brooms. The highly polished black handles glint in the sunlight and golden letters run down the side. Alexis has seen these brooms before. They're new. And they're not just any old broomsticks.