Chapter 8🍏

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘦𝘳. 𝘏𝘦's 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘵. Halloween has arrived at Hogwarts and the students are tucking into the banquet. Carved pumpkin lanterns float mid-air above their heads and the ghosts glide around the hall, participating in the festivities.

Draco is enjoying the feast, but a particular brunette won't let him eat in peace. She'll appear in his mind and cause him to look at her. Today she has her hair tied up in a bun, a few loose strands cupping her face. He'll catch the sparkle of her green eyes when she laughs with Pansy and Thea, or her quick movements when she leans over the table and steals a pumpkin pastie from Pansy's plate.

Draco, annoying as he may be, is no fool. The brew they had created that day in Potions was perfect, thanks to Harry―which maddened him immensely―so the near explosion that had almost happened makes no sense. Except it does. But he doesn't think it's because of what he thinks, because that would be crazy. Wouldn't it?

Taking a bite of a roast potato, he stares at Alexis again. Something is up with her and he needs to find out what.

Alexis' eyes travel around the Hall, still amazed at how spectacular it looks. At home, she never celebrated the festivity because it wasn't really something her family liked. And she never went out with her friends because they didn't like dressing up, so she would stay at home and watch movies all night. But this year, it was totally different. There may not be trick or treating, but a feast is more than enough to make the girl happy.

As she observes the room, she makes eye contact with Draco for a second, but she's quick to break it. She had spent a lot of time thinking about what happened in Potions, how she had lost control and almost created a big mess. She had been trying so hard to be like her parents, kind, trusting and patient. Thea had helped a lot in the trusting department, but the rest is a lot more difficult than she'd thought.

Thinking about her friend, she turns to talk to her. "Thea, what's your gold necklace mean?" Alexis points to the chain that hangs around her neck, an 𝐌 engraved in the circle plate.

"Oh, um, it's an M for our surname, well, my mum's maiden name." Subconsciously, she reaches for the jewellery. "My sister also has one because Mum wants us to have a little piece of her everywhere we go." 

Almost on instinct, she turns her head and looks over to where Draco is sitting. Despite the meaning behind the gold, she looks far from happy.

"And what are your parents like? Are they both wizards?" Pansy, on the other side of the table, clears her throat awkwardly and scratches the back of her neck. 

Alexis raises an eyebrow, very intrigued. "Do you know her parents too?"

Both girls squirm. Pansy doesn't say anything because it's not her story to tell even though she desperately wants to blurt out the answer, but Thea's dark eyes silence her. She would much prefer for her friend not to find out.

"Seriously? No one's going to tell me?" The food on the table suddenly evaporates and turns into a rich spread of candy, making Alexis jump. Giant spider lollipops, caramel apples and all kinds of spooky sweet treats sit in front of them. Alexis smirks and picks up a lollipop, knowing they're Thea's favourites. "I'll smuggle you a few past the teachers if you tell me your secret?"

A deal she simply can't resist, Thea sighs defeated. Just as she opens her mouth, Professor Quirrel runs into the Hall screaming and shouting. 

"TROLL, IN THE DUNGEON, TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!" 

Quiet falls as he stops sprinting and comes to a halt. "Thought you ought to know." He then faints, his body sinking to the floor limply.

There's chaos. Every student yells in uproar, scared to their bones. Alexis locks eyes with Draco and they scream at the top of their lungs as they get up from their seats in a hurry.