Chapter 21🍏

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘢 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘋𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵. It's not his fault she's not part of the family. He had done nothing wrong.

Marrying a muggle-born is clearly one of those things that are inadmissible in the family, so if father says that they deserve it, then it must be true. He wouldn't lie.

Draco leads Crabbe and Goyle down into the common room and he storms in, almost throwing himself on the leather sofa.

"It's quite obvious why father doesn't like her. He's just lucky he doesn't have to put up with her every day," he boasts.

"But he does have to put up with you," says a voice from behind him.

Alexis makes her way over to the sofa and leans against the backrest. She takes one look at his face and says sorry immediately. It's probably best if she doesn't push it right now.

"Don't wait up for me in the dorms," says Draco, dismissing Crabbe and Goyle, who sulk off.

"What is your problem? Seriously?" she asks him.

Draco rolls his eyes. "What?"

"Why can't you just leave her alone?"

"Stay out of it," he murmurs, looking away.

Alexis presses on. "She's my best friend Draco. Just―explain it to me."

"Parkinson's her best friend and she doesn't ask questions."

"I'm not Pansy. I just don't understand why there's so much bad blood between you two. I mean for cousins, that's not normal. Siblings, I'd say fine, but cousins... not so much."

"You don't know the story so just leave it alone," he sighs. Draco doesn't want to talk about it right now. It's their first day back and he's already tired of everyone.

"Fine," agrees Alexis. "What did you want me to stay behind for?"

Draco stays silent, thinking. He doesn't even know. He just wanted to spend time with her.

"We're going to the kitchens."

Alexis scoffs. "No, we're not. We can't leave the common room now."

"We won't get caught, Alexis." He gets up and looks at her. "Filch's cat is just as pathetic as him, he won't see us."

He extends his hand and looks at her, mischief alive in his eyes.

"It's not the first time you've snuck out, or have you forgotten about that?"

Alexis can't resist it. The urge to be careless and live a little. Besides, he's right―it's not the first time she would have broken the rules.

She takes his hand and stands up. Looks like they're going to the kitchens.

They tiptoe down the corridors, bumping into walls, trying to hold in their laughter.

"Alexis, stop bumping into me!" complains Draco, turning around a dark corner.

"Well I can't see!―Wait, where have you gone?" she asks, feeling out in front of her for him.

Draco turns around and finds her in the dark, taking her hand in his and leading the way. Alexis gasps, his hand very cold compared to hers.

Draco leads her into the Great Hall and down a flight of stairs into a corridor. He lets go of her hand and Alexis frowns, wishing he hadn't.

He walks up to a painting of a bowl of fruit and tickles a pear, which suddenly giggles and turns into a green handle.