Chapter 34🍏

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘰𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘱𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩. Everyone is in an uproar, but Professor McGonagall ignores the shouts, boos and questions.

Through her megaphone, she shouts "All students are to make their way back to the House common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will give them further information. As quickly as you can, please!"

She looks down at Harry with a troubled face and beckons him to come over to her. Ron appears shortly after and she gives him the same face.

"Both of you, come with me..."

They follow her back into the castle, up the marble staircase... towards the infirmary.

"This will be a bit of a shock..." she says gently, pushing open the doors. "There has been another attack... another double attack."

Harry's face whitens and Ron looks like his breakfast might be making another appearance soon.

Behind a white curtain lie two girls with frizzy hair, their hands held together tightly. A Gryffindor and a Slytherin.

"Hermione," groans Ron, rushing to her side.

Hermione lies still, her eyes open and glassy.

"and Alexis," whispers Harry, his stomach dropping to the floor.

Her tight curls cover half her face, but she's unmistakable. Her eyes are shut tight and in her hand is a small mirror. It looks like she was sheltering herself from it.

She was hiding. She was scared.

"They were found near the library," says Professor McGonagall. "I don't suppose either of you can explain this?"

She points to the mirror in Alexis' hand, but the boys shake their heads. They have no clue.

"I must go and get the Slytherins... they'll want to see this," she mumbles, walking away, but then she stops and turns around.

"You need to come with me. You can't stay here, not alone. I'll escort you back to the common room."

Harry takes one last look at Alexis. He wishes she'd suddenly sit up and smile and laugh at the look on his face. Hear her giggle and hug her, tightly.

Hug her and never let her go.

Harry leaves, pressured my McGonagall and, frankly, the world.

This is my fault he thinks.

If he had been more focused, paid more attention to details maybe, this wouldn't have happened.

She wouldn't be here, practically lifeless. And nor would Hermione.

Without the girls, they're hopeless.

• • •

Draco follows McGonagall towards the top of the castle, accompanied by Thea, Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle.

She hasn't said anything except that what they're about to see is rather unpleasant.

Draco can't think of anything interesting that might be happening wherever they're going, considering the quidditch match was just cancelled.

He had hoped that Hufflepuff would, for once, be half decent and beat Gryffindor. But that will have to wait.

Besides, it wouldn't have been fun without Alexis. She always makes the funniest faces while watching, her emotions always on her sleeve.

Now that he thinks about it, he hasn't seen her in a while, not since she left breakfast.

Where could she be?