Chapter 18🍏

Although in hospital, Alexis ploughed through and studied for her exams. Draco continued visiting her, spending his afternoons studying and eating sweets together on her bed.

Even after she was feeling much better, Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let her leave, not until the day before her first exam, insisting that He-who-must-not-be-named had really taken a toll on her body.

That night was spent in the common room, cramming their brains with as much last-minute knowledge they could manage and eating.
A lot.

"I think I might be sick," groans Alexis on her way to Transfiguration, which was up first. "I don't know if I studied enough."

"You probably didn't," says Draco. He was extremely confident that he'd do well, but then again, he's always like that.

"For Merlin's sake Draco, shut up!" snaps Thea. "Alexis, you will do amazing. If you could stand up to Voldermort, you can pass a Transfiguration exam. Now, come close everyone."

They all form a circle and put their heads in. "We've got this. We are going to pass with flying colours and if you don't ― then too bad 'cos I can't help you there," she says, a wicked laugh escaping.

They all groan and roll their eyes, but it soon became something they did before every exam (much to Draco's annoyance).

After they had finished came the end-of-year feast, something they were greatly looking forward to. The Great Hall buzzes with excitement, decked out in the Slytherin colours of green and silver to celebrate them winning the House Cup for the seventh year in a row. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covered the wall behind the High Table.

As she sits and waits for Dumbeldore to appear, Alexis notices the many eyes on her, watching as she talks to her friends.

Dumbledore arrives moments later and he begins his speech. "Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."

Everyone at the Slytherin table rejoices, hugging and clapping noisily.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," he says rather rushed. "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room goes very still. The Slytherins' smiles fade a little.

"I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Mr Ronald Weasley..."

Alexis looks over at Ron and his face turns a very bright shade of pink.

"... for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

Murmurs, whispers and cheers sound around the room.

"Miss Hermione Granger... for your astounding knowledge about Devil's Snare, I award Gryffindor House fifty points."

More cheers.

"Third ― to Mr Harry Potter... for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House sixty points."

Alexis' heart drops slightly. They were now neck and neck. She isn't sad that her friends were being awarded points because they deserved it ―but still― her house was now tied with theirs. A win for her house in her first year would have been nice.

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I award ten points to Mr Neville Longbottom."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stand up to yell and cheer as Neville, white with shock, disappears under a pile of people hugging him. Alexis claps slowly, her face struggling to decide whether she should be smiling or pouting.