Worries and Regrets

Kaya hadn't planned to stay in Tobin's office after dropping off breakfast. Yet, she found herself pacing in front of his desk. 

Why did the air around Ransom and Zoren seem so hostile? They had never really liked each other, but they had never hated each other, either. Why the animosity now? 

Wouldn't the fan club and the press just love a story about the two men fighting?

Kaya sincerely hoped they didn't come to blows. Not only for her own sake, but for their sakes. 

Zoren was a nice guy, so why did he have to storm in like that? Did she do something wrong when she agreed to date Ransom? Or should she never have dated Zoren? 

"They won't try to kill each other, right?" 

"Hm? Pardon?" Tobin looked up from his computer. 

Oh, had she asked that out loud? Kaya shook her head. "Nothing. It's nothing." 

Kaya turned to pace again. 

Was Zoren really going to use the firm for his PR? Or just for image management? Why did he show up so suddenly, without even mentioning it to her? That didn't make sense. Zoren liked to tell people when he made decisions. 

BANG!

The sudden, loud crash came from the other side of Ransom's door. Kaya threw her hands up as if to protect herself. 

Tobin rose from his seat and craned his neck as if that would allow him to see through the door. "Are you alright, Ms. Parker?" 

"Yep. Fine. Perfect." Kaya inhaled through her nose and exhaled through her mouth. Maybe that would calm her nerves. 

A brief moment of silence passed.

The door flew open. 

Zoren stormed out, barely sparing a glance in Kaya's direction. 

"Zo-"

He was gone before she could get his name out of her mouth. 

Strange. Zoren had never ignored her before. Kaya glanced down to her feet, trying to decide how she felt about getting snubbed. 

"Oh. You're still here." Ransom stepped out of his office and crossed the room to Kaya's side. "Are you alright? Why are you staring at the floor?" 

"It's nothing." Kaya looked up, into Ransom's face. "I'm okay." 

"Do you want me to send you back to the kitchen?" Ransom reached out for Kaya's hand. 

Kaya shook her head at him, deftly avoiding his fingers. For now, she wanted to be able to think "I'm okay. I'll head back by myself." 

Ransom frowned softly. "You know that you can tell me anything, don't you? I'm on your side. Let me bear some of the burden." 

"I just need to clear my head for a while." Kaya offered her best smile, desperate to let him know that she wasn't shutting him out. She just didn't know how to act in a relationship. 

Though Ransom didn't seem like he believed her words, he took a respectful step back and allowed Kaya space to retreat. 

Retreat. Something Kaya wished she didn't have to do. Why did she always retreat from human interaction? When would she stop that awful behavior? 

Kaya spent the majority of her trek back to the kitchens trying to figure out how to be a better person. So lost was she in her thoughts that she didn't even notice Ransom, following her from a distance.