A Full Day's Work (pt. 4)

Kestrel didn't take a seat until Kaya had settled back in her chair. Even then, he perched on the edge, his long legs bent and angled into a semi-comfortable position. 

"Tell me about yourself, Ms. Kaya Parker." 

The last question that Kaya expected, especially considering the narcissistic vibes she had been getting from Kestrel. 

"Where did you want me to start?" 

Kestrel laughed. "I see. You need prompts. Where did you grow up?" 

Kaya would admit that his smile was breathtaking. She could see why anyone would want to look at his pictures, with the beauty radiating her way. 

"Kaya? May I call you Kaya?" 

Kaya nodded. 

"Where did you grow up?" 

"Oh." Kaya cleared her throat, hoping it would buy her time to get her brain on straight again. "About two hours away from here. It's a little town, you've probably never heard of it." 

"A naive, small town girl." Kestrel's smile never wavered, only changed with the tone of his words. "What brought you to our beautiful, bustling city?"

Things spiraled through Kaya's head. Words and actions and good intentions. "Lots of things. None of them good." 

"A sore subject. Understood." 

"Can I ask something?" 

Kestrel nodded. "I don't see why not." 

"Why were you surprised that I didn't know who you are?" 

"Everyone knows who I am." Kestrel laughed again. 

Kaya shook her head. "Not everyone. I don't." 

Kestrel nodded thoughtfully. As if he didn't know what to say to that. "I debuted in a very popular boy group and went on from there to model. I'm sure you've seen me in advertisements." 

"I don't have a television." 

"You haven't even seen me on billboards?" 

"I don't drive, so I don't really look at billboards." 

Kestrel's mouth fell open, his eyes went wide. "You... I... I think I need to speak with my manager about this." 

Kaya giggled. She had never met someone who got so flustered when someone didn't know them. 

Kestrel pointed a finger at her. "You laughed!" 

"I do that sometimes." 

"Ms. Parker." Ransom's deep, steady voice seemed a little louder than usual. 

Kaya looked up to see him exiting the CEO's office. She turned back to Kestrel. "Looks like I have to go. It was nice to meet you."

"We should talk more. Let me give you my number." Kestrel held out a hand, brooking no argument from Kaya's side. 

Kaya glanced to Ransom on the other side of the alcove. "I'll give you mine." She spouted off the digits. 

Kestrel repeated them back as he entered them into his phone. "Good. I have a lot of questions regarding Lady Jade, so I would appreciate it if you would put up with me some afternoon." 

"Kaya." This time, Ransom's voice was definitely firmer than usual. 

Kaya waved to Kestrel as she started toward her boss. "We'll talk." 

Kestrel's grin leaned more toward the mischievous side than earlier. He lifted one hand and dropped each finger in a rolling wave. Kaya could have sworn she heard Ransom Lee growl.