To Attract a Jade

"Did you hear what your cousin did?" Kestrel asked as he reached out to touch Jade's hair. 

Jade spun, metal ladle in hand, and pointed the instrument at Kestrel's face. "Who said you could touch me?" 

"Oh, please, Lady Jade. Don't play so hard to get. You let me in the door, after all." 

"That's a completely different animal." Jade planted a palm against Kestrel's chest and pushed until he took a step back. "Talk from here. What did my cousin do?" 

Kestrel sighed. "Looks like someone angered him this time around. Golde Corporation took a critical hit this evening at their celebration dinner."

"Ambrosius Golde? That sleaze?" Jade wrinkled her nose. Mr. Golde had never been on good terms with her. Jade found she didn't like the way he handled business matters. "I say good riddance." 

Looked like Ransom finally made a decision on how to use the files she delivered to him. Jade didn't mind lending a hand to the mission. After all, if she couldn't take a stand for her cousin and her friend, who could she stand for? 

Kestrel wrapped his hand around Jade's elbow and pulled her a step closer. "I smell secrets that you've not been telling me." 

"Who says I have to tell them to you?" Jade tossed her long hair behind her shoulder. "Let go." 

"No." 

"Aren't you going to do what I say?" 

Kestrel shook his head. "I'm done playing the game your way, Lady Jade. No more obeying every one of your whims. Tell me what's going on." 

Now he decided to grow a backbone? What happened to the Kestrel Knox who followed her like a puppy and obeyed just as well? Jade gave a tug against his grip, but he held firm. 

Though she hated sharing secrets, Jade gave a huff. "Ransom is avenging someone dear to him. And, dear Kestrel, I suggest you start looking for a new agency."

"I've already been looking." Kestrel tipped his head, studying Jade's face with seriousness she didn't know he possessed. "Is there any particular reason for the urgency?" 

"You may annoy me, but you don't deserve to get caught up in the wake of Ransom's revenge." Jade gave her arm another tug. "Are you satisfied now?" 

Kestrel chuckled. "I know you're feisty, Lady Jade, but there is no need to be so defensive. You think I don't know about my own boss? Think again. I'm waiting for the right time. Now... do you want my help or not?" 

"I don't want you to drown in the aftermath." 

"Ah, so you're concerned about me?" Kestrel's grin widened. 

Jade realized her mistake too late. Some words were better kept inside, but she had blurted them out on impulse. "That's not it." 

"I think it is, though." Kestrel gave a soft tug against Jade's arm, urging her yet another step toward his chest. 

"What are you-"

Before Jade could finish her sentence, Kestrel bent to press his lips against the top of her hair. "Don't worry, Lady Jade. I'm not going anywhere." 

He released her, then, and retreated to the living area. Jade stumbled a step backwards, unwilling to admit how the simple gesture made her mind reel and her heart flutter.