Gentlemen

After leaving the package with Mr. Perkins' secretary, Kaya hadn't expected Kestrel to walk her out. It was a gentlemanly move, one a good friend would make, but something nagged at the back of Kaya's mind, saying this might not be the best idea. 

"I really am okay by myself, Kestrel." Kaya tried to reason with him. 

Clearly, Kestrel would have none of it. "It's like you think I haven't seen the phenomena happening online. It's better if I walk you to your car." 

"Someone's waiting to drive me back. It's okay." 

"You never know what might happen between the building and the car. If something were to happen to you, Lady Jade would never forgive me. Ever. Consider this selfish ambition." 

"But it looks like..." 

"It's purely friendship. Trust me. You're adorable, but so not my type." 

"You have a type?" Kaya honestly thought that Kestrel didn't go by those kinds of standards. 

A car door slammed. 

Kaya looked up to see Ransom circling the front of his vehicle. 

Kestrel chuckled. "Ah. So when you said someone was waiting to drive you home, you meant..." 

"I tried to tell you." Kaya shrugged. 

Ransom came to a stop, facing Kestrel. Without a word, he reached out, took Kaya's wrist in his hand, and gently led her to his side. "Kestrel." 

"Ransom." Kestrel grinned, smug as a Cheshire Cat. "I didn't expect I would see you here." 

"Neither did I." Ransom glanced between Kaya and Kestrel. "Is there... something I should know?" 

Kaya quickly shook her head. "Kestrel's a friend. Besides, he likes Jade." 

"Oh, really?" Ransom shot Kestrel an look with unidentifiable emotion behind it. 

Kestrel nodded. "Very much." 

Ransom paused, as if he seriously debated the words he would speak next. "If you're serious about her, please treat my cousin well. She hasn't had the best luck in her life." 

"I have to ask the same of you. Treat my friend Kaya well. She deserves affection, from what I've gathered." 

"I have every intention of treating her well." 

"Intentions are nice, but can you really do it?" 

Kaya raised her free hand, as if she needed permission to speak. "Um... guys? This shouldn't sound like a rivalry. Kestrel's just a friend." 

"Friends should look out for each other." Kestrel smiled in Kaya's direction. "I'm ensuring you chose a good boyfriend." 

"As if you would know what a good boyfriend looks like," Ransom muttered. 

Kestrel shrugged. "I know what a bad one looks like, so I'm searching for the opposite." 

"I can take care of myself, you know. I don't need you to tell me whether I made a good choice or not." Kaya slid her arm through Ransom's grasp until her fingers could meet his. "I can't say it's a great choice, but I'm certain my dating Ransom isn't a bad decision." 

Kestrel shoved his hands into his pockets. "Ah, so it's official. Congratulations to the both of you. I hope you overcome all the obstacles." He checked his watch. "I've got to go now, and you should, too, if you don't want the fan club to find you. They have a decent neighborhood watch." 

"Kestrel." Ransom called the single word. 

Kestrel stopped, half facing Ransom and Kaya, half facing the building. "Yes?" 

"Thank you. For looking out for her in my absence. And for being a gentleman." 

Kestrel nodded once. "That means I'll have to thank you for being a gentleman about Jade. I'll treat her well." 

"I'll punish you if you don't." 

Kestrel laughed. "Please. Jade will punish me if I don't. Good night, you two." 

Kaya wasn't entirely sure what their whole exchange meant, but she figured it was a guy thing. In the end, she knew what she needed to know. She and Ransom were officially official. And Kestrel was officially her friend.