An Unexpected Interruption

To Kaya's surprise, only ten minutes after she took a seat in Tobin's office, Zoren sailed in. Having not seen him in weeks, it took Kaya aback to see him at that moment. 

Kaya wrapped her fingers tighter around the mug in her hands. "What are you doing here?"

"Lawrence called Lina and Lina called me..." Zoren waved a hand through the air. "It doesn't matter. Are you okay? Lina said there was some bad juju mcgumbo going down around here." 

Though she didn't have a decent answer for that, considering she refused to explain this to Zoren right now, Kaya managed with a nod. "But that doesn't answer what you're doing here." 

"You're filing for a half-day off and coming with me." Zoren pointed finger-guns at Tobin. "You can file that for her, right?" 

"I can," Tobin agreed. "But that doesn't mean I will." 

Lawrence piped up from his perch against the doorway. "I'll go with them." 

Kaya and Zoren both stopped to stare at him. Lawrence rarely spoke, so his decree shocked everyone in the room. Except for Tobin. 

"Keep close watch." Tobin nodded his thanks to Lawrence, then shot Zoren a tight smile. "I'll file for her half-day." 

"Great. Thanks." Zoren whisked the blanket off of Kaya's shoulders and took her mug to give it to Tobin. "Now, I know the big guy is going to worry about this, so let him know that Lina's meeting us there. Any other news, I'm sure he can get from this guy." Zoren shot a thumb over his shoulder toward Lawrence. 

Tobin flicked his fingers toward the door. "Shoo. I have work to do."

Zoren didn't need any more motivation to get moving. He tucked an arm around Kaya's shoulders to steer her toward the door. 

Had she been in a better headspace, Kaya might have questioned a lot. Like why Zoren came to get her. Or where they were headed. Even why she allowed Zoren to take charge. That had never ended well in the past. 

Still, dazed and confused, Kaya went along with Zoren's plan. No questions asked. 

Out of the company. Into Zoren's car. Out into traffic and the mass population. 

Kaya's first question hit her when Zoren stopped the car outside of an old, weathered warehouse. One of those sketchy ones that Kaya wouldn't dare to step foot inside. 

"Zoren? What's this?" 

"Trust me. It's going to make you feel so much better." Zoren turned off the engine and hopped out of his door. "You, too, bodyguard buddy. Let's go." 

Lawrence, for all his usual suspicions, didn't ask questions. 

Kaya dove out her door and slammed it behind herself. "Hey! Where's Lina? I thought you said she would meet us here." 

"She's inside already. Put a little hitch in your giddy-up, Kaya. Gosh, how slow can you be?" 

Antagonistic much? Kaya wrinkled her nose at him. "Lawrence, can you throw him over your shoulder or something just to get him to shut up?" 

"I'm afraid not." Lawrence shrugged his shoulders apologetically. 

Kaya shook her head. Zoren would never mean her harm, which was the only reason she followed him through the warehouse doors.