Prelude to a Date (pt. 2)

Sometimes Kaya wondered if Ransom really hired her for her talent, or just because he wanted an excuse to get her out of Noel's bakery and into a safer environment. Because, though she cooked for him most days, more often than not Ransom ended up eating out or taking her out. 

Point-in-case, the Friday of Leona's coerced date. 

Ransom couldn't just do a precursory one-stop, write-it-off kind of date. No. Of course not. He collected Kaya from the kitchen at half-past-eleven in the morning. 

That was about the time that Kaya knew it would be a long day. Now, she sat in Ransom's car, helpless to stop the upcoming terror. 

First things first, though. Kaya turned in her seat to face Ransom's profile. "Can we stop by Jade's place first?" 

Ransom knit his brow. "Why?" 

"Um, hello? I'm not going on a date with you and snazzily-dressed Leona Lewis, while I'm dressed in this." Kaya motioned to her t-shirt and jeans. Not exactly date attire. 

To be fair, Kaya didn't exactly want to go on this date in the first place, but it was a better option than sitting at home and wondering what Leona was doing to Ransom. 

"You speak your mind very freely around me now." Ransom grinned. "I like it." 

Frankly, Kaya hadn't been aware that's what she was doing. It came naturally, to explain that particular feeling. Either her hard shell had cracked, or Ransom had indescribable influence on her ability to speak up. 

"Is that an acquiescence, then?" 

Ransom nodded. "We'll stop by Jade's first. I had already planned to do so." 

"Oh." So she needn't have worried. 

Kaya felt a little stupid for assuming that Ransom stopped caring about her for the day. He didn't operate like that. Ransom cared, no matter the day or time. She should know that. 

As promised, Ransom stopped the SUV in the underground parking garage. "I'll walk you up." 

"It's okay. I won't take long." 

"You can take all the time you need." Ransom opened his door. "I'll walk you up. Just in case. Let's go." 

Just in case. For a second, Kaya had almost forgotten about the looming danger. If Ransom thought something might happen in this secure building... it must be really bad. 

Kaya couldn't find anything to say, so she walked the halls in silence. Ransom didn't seem eager to converse, either. 

Perhaps they both had the same things on their minds, or perhaps both were preoccupied with separate issues. Either way, Ransom kept his promise and escorted Kaya all the way into Jade's apartment. 

Sadly, Jade and Lina had gone to a photoshoot, or Kaya would have asked Jade for her expertise. 

As it was, Kaya shut herself in the bedroom and locked the door. Not because she didn't trust Ransom, but because she had never been alone in a house with a man before. The hotel didn't count. 

Though she had never dared before, Kaya found her courage now to open Jade's closet and step inside. 

Jade always had extra clothes, and Kaya knew that Leona Lewis wouldn't pull punches with her outfit. So Kaya should look stunning, too. She couldn't look like the third wheel, for sure. 

But Ransom was waiting, so Kaya chose the first thing that stood out to her. A sky-blue jumper dress over a white blouse. She quickly pinned back the sides of her hair and brushed out the rest. No time to try for anything fancy. 

It may not be an evening gown, but the look made Kaya feel safe in her own skin. 

Ransom's besotted smile only confirmed her choice. 

"Are you ready now?" Ransom asked gently. 

Kaya nodded her head, a piece of hair falling over her shoulder. "I'm ready." 

"Then let's head to our date."