Chapter 4: The Affairs of the Heart

Kiko's willowy figure strut angrily as she pulled Violet toward the elevator, only letting go of her best friend's hand once they were inside the spacious metal box.

"You should have told me you were coming here to confront him," Kiko huffed as she pushed the button for the ground floor.

"Well, I didn't have to! You're here now, aren't you!?" Violet pursed her lips and crossed her arms in a restraining gesture, looking at the closing elevator door. The image of the man with deep ocean eyes, holding the elevator door for her, flashed through her mind. Feeling even more restless, she bit her lips to stifle her discomposure.

Kiko raised her eyebrows at Violet's snappy retort and threw her a quick glance. Seeing the faint pucker on her best friend's forehead, she couldn't help but chuckle. Violet was clearly agitated, but she looked adorable nevertheless.

"Is the princess grumpy now? Heartbroken?" Kiko teased, wrapping her arm around her friend's shoulders.

Violet shot her a disapproving look. "I just broke up with my boyfriend, and you're laughing?" She removed Kiko's arm from her shoulders, sulking.

"How did you know I was here, anyway?" she demanded. "And you knew about this blind date! Why didn't you tell me?"

Kiko sighed. "Okay, sorry... Look, I just found out about it this morning when I heard about it from other people at the hospital. But today was your last exam day, so I didn't want this sour news to distract you," she explained. "I was planning to tell you later. Who would've thought you'd find out from someone else?"

Violet didn't respond. She was still staring blankly at the elevator's marbled floor, pouting.

"And I didn't know you already knew! I was already on my way here as soon as my shift was over to give Senior Tam an earful. Then your brother called, trying to pry into your affairs—asking me why you're at Kingsley. So, I rushed here even more and saw that you were already confronting him." Kiko narrowed her eyes. "Who told you about the date, anyway?"

Hearing Kiko mentioning her brother, Violet looked up. Her eyes widened in horror. "Did you tell my brother?"

"No, of course not. Tsk." Kiko threw her an annoyed glance. "How long have you known me?" 

Violet released a sigh of relief.

"I told him you came here for me because I needed some urgent help. I don't think he bought it, though, so he'll probably pester you about it later."

The elevator dinged as they reached the ground floor.

"Besides, you should just tell him. It's not like you'd be able to keep it a secret from him," Kiko added as they stepped out of the elevator. She rushed toward the hotel entrance, urging Violet to make haste. "Hurry, I left my car up front, near the entrance! And I promised the valet I'd be quick!"

The parking valet saw the young lady who had recklessly left her car at the hotel's doorstep. He was about to open his mouth in protest when she interjected. "Sorry for the trouble, but wasn't I quick, as promised?" Kiko winked as she placed a 500 Hong Kong Dollar banknote in the valet's hand.

Without giving the valet a chance to say anything back, she swiftly stepped into the driver's seat of her red BMW. She took Violet's book bag from her hand and tossed it into the backseat. She then sped away, leaving the valet staring at her retreating taillights.

He looked at the cash in his hand, and belatedly shouted, "Miss, this is too much!"

Violet clicked on her seatbelt and slumped down into the leather seat of the upmarket car. Resting her elbow on the window, she supported her cheek with the back of her hand. She remained quiet, looking outside through the car window, lost in thought.