Chapter 36: Daddy's Girl

The breakfast room at the Lee family's main residence was lively that morning. Byron Lee, the head of the household, had just arrived from his business trip to Singapore. He was supposed to travel back to Hong Kong tomorrow afternoon, but after hearing his only daughter had come home for a week, he had cut everything short to expedite his return.

It had been three months since his daughter moved out to live at her university's student dormitory. He hadn't liked the idea then and still didn't like it now. Yes, he was an overprotective father. A little too much, perhaps. But having been on pins and needles on his daughter's fate for a good fifteen years, and knowing how hostile the outside world could be, it was difficult for him to take a backseat when it concerned her.

If it were up to him, he would just keep her home forever to shield her from any dangers. There was no need for her to pursue a university degree or experience mundane hardships like the masses. After all, they were the Lees. He—Byron Lee—could definitely afford to provide his only daughter with a life of luxury for the rest of her life, and her children's children too.

But Violet had continuously begged, wanting to live independently. His sensible wife had also come to their daughter's aid in trying to convince him.

"Give her room to grow up, too," she said. "We can't protect her forever, no matter how much we want to."

And so he relented. Violet hadn't been home for a good while now, and he missed her. He still met her for lunch once a week, but it was different from seeing her at home, spending time just like before. Therefore, right after he had finalized some things at midnight, he instructed his flight crew to get his Gulfstream G550 ready for take-off.

Violet and Marion had just finished their breakfast when Byron appeared in the room. He was a statuesque man in his late fifties. He emitted an aura as noble as an aristocrat's, and just like his wife, looked several years younger than his actual age. One look at the couple, everyone could see the attractive gene pool from which their children got their good looks.

"Daddy!" Violet beamed at the sight of her father. She darted to give him a bear hug.

"There's my little sweetheart!" Byron chuckled as he returned his daughter's hug.

"Let me take a good look at you," he said, releasing his daughter from his embrace, and scanned her. "Have you gotten a bit skinnier than the last time I saw you?" He frowned. "Have you been taking care of yourself well?"

"I have!" Violet retorted. "I've been taking good care of myself and haven't lost any weight. I can prepare my own food now!" She boasted, thumping her chest and smiling widely.

Byron's frown melted away when he saw his daughter's radiant smile. She had done this ever since she was a child. Whenever he came home from work or a business trip—if she was in good condition—she would run to him and greet him excitedly. It was such an indescribable feeling—one that only a father with a daughter would understand. Every single time she did that, everything else that had happened that day would simply disintegrate.

Even when she wasn't bursting with health, she would still look so delighted every time he was with her. When she was hospitalized for treatments, although Byron could see how unpleasant those procedures were to her, she would always smile in between her winces whenever she saw him.

There were also days—a lot of them, in fact—when the pain was so unbearable for her that she would just incessantly cry in agony. She would only be pacified by her daddy carrying her. Sometimes for hours, but he had never minded. The numbness and discomfort in his own arms were nothing compared to the easement of his baby girl's suffering.