Chapter 15: Putting Two And Two Together

Violet drove her white mini cooper to Grace's birthday party. Her friend had chosen the Central District, where a popular karaoke bar was located. Her mother had initially insisted that Uncle Wong dropped her off at the party and picked her up when the party was over. It worried her to let Violet drive her car alone in the evening. After all, Violet had only just got her driver's license the year before and hardly ever drove.

Violet's inner critical voice kept taunting her, so she refused. She argued that having a chauffeur to drive her would clash with her wish to keep a low profile among her friends.

Marion knew she would need to let her daughter spread her wings if she wanted her to lead a full life. So, she conceded—but not before she made her daughter promise to be extra careful on the road. It also helped to know that her bodyguard would still be right behind, tailing her, should anything happen.

The glowing harbor came into view as Violet parked her car in a parking lot nearby. The city didn't slow down even after the sun dipped below the horizon—especially on a Saturday evening like tonight. The clock had struck nine, and the nightlife was just starting. Violet walked down the street toward the karaoke bar, taking in the glittering view and the vibrant night scene around her. The lively sight and the sense of freedom she felt from strolling down the crowded avenue on her own exhilarated her.

She arrived at the karaoke bar, letting an attendant lead her to a private room where Grace's party had already started. Violet entered, and the loud sound of upbeat music immediately assaulted her ears. She looked around awkwardly. This wasn't like the home parties and dinner galas she was used to. 

The place was packed with approximately thirty people, who seemed to be having a whale of a time. A woman dressed in a skimpy outfit was singing a loud and upbeat song on the karaoke machine, while the rest were merrily drinking and chatting. Some were even making out on the couch.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to see who just came in, including the woman singing on the karaoke machine. Violet spotted Grace, who was talking to a sleek-looking man on a couch in the furthest corner of the room. Grace saw her too. She smiled, rising from her seat to walk to and greet her.

"Ah, you made it! Everyone, this is Violet, Adam's girlfriend. Oh, wait... It's ex-girlfriend now!" Grace introduced her to everyone in a too-loud voice, making sure everyone would hear her. Violet caught a whiff of alcohol on Grace's breath and creased her forehead. Grace seemed a little tipsy, and it made her nervous. She was not used to seeing her like this.

"Damn, Grace, you weren't joking when you said Adam had a hot girlfriend. What a babe!" A man exclaimed, greeting Violet with a wolf whistle.

The sleek man, who was sitting and chatting with Grace before, examined Violet with greedy eyes. "How did that dweeb score a hottie like her?" He jeered.

"Why? You want to score her too, bro? You think you can?" another man sneered and laughed in response.

"Why not? She's his ex-girlfriend. So, all's fair now," the man answered, looking impish.

Violet's face reddened. Why did Grace have to introduce her in such a way? Why did she have to put her in such an awkward situation? Everyone's attention was on her, and she didn't want to make a scene. She quickly handed Grace the gift she had brought and bid her farewell. "Happy Birthday, Grace. Uhm, I just came to give you this. I'm sorry, but I'll be going now. I have something else to do. Enjoy your birthday party."

She turned around to exit the room, not waiting for Grace to answer, and heard some disappointed jeers from the men inside.

"Leaving already, gorgeous? We don't bite..."