Chapter 28: The Phone Call

Violet squeezed her eyes shut. She pressed the send button and quickly threw herself on the bed. Flustered, she couldn't help but squeal like a teenage fangirl at her idol's concert. She hushed herself, pressing her hands against her mouth when she felt Kiko stirring in her sleep beside her.

Kiko had rushed straight to the Lee family's residence as soon as she finished her shift at the hospital. After making sure that Violet was really okay, she took a quick shower and slipped into Violet's bed. It had only taken her a few seconds to doze off into a deep sleep.

Violet saw her best friend's furrowed brows, obviously perturbed by her sudden movement and squeal. She could see how exhausted Kiko was. Not wanting to wake her best friend up, she lay carefully on her stomach, burying her face in the pillow to muffle the sounds of her squeals and giggles.

She had gotten Kai's phone number from Lauren, and it had taken her a few hours before she decided to send him a 'Thank you' message. She'd taken her time composing the text—erasing and retyping it—wanting it to be perfect. And as soon as she sent it, a physical whoosh of energy mixed with nervous anticipation spread through her body, starting from her chest down to her fingertips.

Is this the feeling of liking someone? she pondered.

How silly! Giddiness whirled uncontrollably inside her as she kicked her legs and feet into the air, making Kiko stir in her sleep. Violet looked at her best friend apologetically, but she just couldn't help it. It was as though her body were on a caffeine buzz.

She was still holding her phone when it suddenly vibrated and lit up. It was an incoming call. Violet's half-face emerged from behind the pillow to peek at it. Her eyes widened when she saw who it was.

Caller ID: Kai Wu

She immediately sprang up, almost throwing her phone in the air. 

Why is he calling!? 

Having expected that he would just reply to her text message instead of calling, Violet panicked inwardly. A mixed sensation of glee and hysteria surged through her. 

The sudden rustling of the mattress roused Kiko's sleep once more. "Prick! Go sit on a cactus!" she yelled, throwing her pumped fist in the air. 

Startled, Violet held her breath. Clutching the buzzing phone tightly onto her chest, she remained still as she watched Kiko turn around, facing away from her, mumbling more expletives addressed to a certain Dr. Gao. Violet raised an eyebrow, but it didn't take long before she heard Kiko's steady breathing again. She drew out a sigh of relief.

Between her best friend's sleep-cursing and the unexpected incoming phone call from Mr. Wu, she wasn't sure which one would cause her heart to stop first.

The phone was still vibrating in her hand. She picked up the phone and dashed toward her en-suite bathroom. "Hello?" she whispered as she opened the bathroom door. She bolted inside and closed the door behind her, but in a moment of slight panic, she almost slipped on the bath rug positioned at the door. Luckily, she managed to keep hold of the doorknob to keep herself from falling—but not before she let out a little shriek. 

"Miss Lee?" A concerned but pleasant-sounding voice came from the phone.

"Yes!" Violet quickly answered. She steadied herself, took a deep breath, and leaned against the door. "Hello, Mr. Wu." Violet tried to sound as normal as possible, but her voice couldn't conceal a hint of excitement and bashfulness. Both her hands were gripping tightly onto the phone on her ear. She listened attentively with reddened cheeks.

"Are you alright? Have I caught you at a bad time?"

"What?" Violet spluttered. "No, not at all. I was just...exercising."