Chapter 33: Five Years

"What!?" Kiko screeched in bewilderment, spewing out the bubble tea she'd just had a swig of. Almost choking on the drink, she bent over with her hands against a store's window and coughed profusely.   

"Ugh, drink slowly, Kii!" Violet warned gently as she patted her best friend's back.

"Gee, honey," Kiko said, as soon as her airway was cleared. Still half-bent over, she frowned at Violet. "And you just had to drop the bomb right after I took a sip of my drink?" 

It was Monday, early afternoon, and Kiko had a day off. They had just finished their lunch at a cafe on the ground floor of Landmark Atrium, one of the most luxurious shopping malls in the city. They were heading to a store of a famous fancy brand to buy some nice, warm scarves for Amah Ning.

Kiko straightened her back and wiped her lips with the back of her hand. "Let's rewind for a bit," she said, "so he asked you out for dinner and you said yes? Just like that?" 

Violet nodded and Kiko's jaw dropped faster than a boulder thrown off a two-story building. 

"What's that look for!?" Violet hissed. Her forehead rumpled. "I didn't tell you a pig just flew over your head! I said I'm going out with him for dinner! Why does that surprise you so much? He saved me! It's only right to thank him properly!" 

Kiko didn't reply. Instead, she narrowed her eyes and leaned closer towards Violet, scrutinizing her face. Violet instinctively stepped backward, feeling uneasy. After a few moments, Kiko let out a small gasp. "You like him!" she blurted.

"Shh! Lower your voice!" Violet shushed, quickly pulling her best friend to a quiet corner by some tables. She felt a blush creeping up her cheeks. 

"Sweet kittens in a wicker basket!  You didn't deny it, so it's true!" Kiko squealed. Grinning widely, she gave Violet a playful shove on her shoulder. 

"I-is it that obvious?" Violet puzzled as she bit her lower lip.

"Puh-lease... How long have I known you for?" Kiko laughed, looking at her best friend whose creamy cheeks and ears had turned a darker shade of raspberry, making her look even more adorable. "Well, I approve!"

"Really...?"

"Yep!" Kiko nodded. "I'm getting a good vibe from him." She then declared, puffing out her chest and thumping on it smugly, "And since this is the first time you've liked someone since...well, since ever, I'll help you! Trust me, you'll win his heart for good!"

Violet's mouth curved into a sweet gigantic smile. "Thanks, Kii, you're the best!" she said as she hugged and kissed her best friend's cheek.

"Uhm, there's just... this one thing that you need to know..." Kiko bit her lip nervously. "Remember the yellow cashmere cardigan that you liked so much?"

Violet squinted her eyes. "Don't tell me..." she said suspiciously.

Her suspicion was confirmed when Kiko gave her a guilty look, clasping her palms together in apology. "I borrowed it when I slept at your place a while ago and accidentally poured some wine on it during a class get-together, and when I tried to wash it in the washing machine, it shrunk, and now it looks like a piece of clothing for an eight-year-old, I'm sorry!" she confessed, uttering everything in one fell swoop.

Violet gasped. "Unbelievable! I've been looking for it for months, and you kept saying I must have misplaced it!" Throwing her hands up in the air in frustration, she cried out, "Why did you even bother confessing? Why not just let me continue to believe it?"

Kiko grimaced. "Well, I've been feeling guilty, knowing how much you liked that sweater... I was going to replace it with the exact same one if it weren't a Dior's limited edition..." Seeing her best friend's pouty face, she quickly put on a puppy dog expression. "Remember how happy you were just five minutes ago? You even kissed me and said I'm the best. Can we please go back there? Please? I'm sorry... okay? You know how much I love you, right?"