Chapter 24: Are We Friends?

The underground parking lot of Kai's apartment building was unusually empty that morning. Kai and Violet bumped into Ah Hong, the building security guard, as they walked toward Kai's car.

Ah Hong bid Kai a good morning with a smile, but his smile quickly turned into a surprised look as he watched Kai walk out of the resident-only basement elevator with a beautiful young lady who was, for sure, not a resident of this building. Having worked as a security guard in the apartment building for five years, he knew all the tenants there. And this lady was definitely not one of them. She was wearing men's clothes, which must have been Mr. Wu's.

It was an interesting sight. This was the first time he ever saw Mr. Wu appear with a woman. He knew the lady wasn't a member of Mr. Wu's family. Mr. Wu had only a father, a younger brother, an aunt, and an uncle, all of whom he had seen and even conversed with every time they came to visit.

If the woman was Mr. Wu's guest but not his family, then who was she?

Ah, he knew he could be nosey, but what else was a security guard like him to do for entertainment during his lonely patrol duty? Of course, he wouldn't gossip! He just liked to observe the daily lives of the tenants quietly.

And at that moment, upon coming to his own conclusion about the woman's identity, he gave both of them a knowing look.

Violet bid the guard a good morning and saw his meaningful smile. She instinctively looked at the clothes she was wearing and somehow understood what that smile meant. She felt bashful, having a sudden urge to explain, but thought it would only make things more awkward.

What could she say anyway? That they were strangers, and Kai was only helping her because she had been drugged with nowhere else to go? That was the truth, but would the guard even believe that?

She looked at Kai, hoping that he would say something, but Kai only returned the guard's greeting with a nod, seemingly unconcerned about the guard's assumption of their relationship.

He opened the door to the passenger seat for Violet, making sure she was seated comfortably before he went to the driver's seat and started the car's engine.

"Aren't you going to explain our situation to him, Mr. Wu?" Violet asked, staring at Kai with her beautiful almond eyes.

Kai saw her flustered expression and looked at Ah Hong, who was still standing nearby with a smiling face from his side mirror. He then turned to look at her again with an arched eyebrow. "What situation?" he asked.

Violet widened her eyes. "He... He..." she stammered.

She didn't know how to explain without feeling shy. But seeing Kai's gaze on her, waiting patiently for an answer, she anxiously blurted, "Didn't you see how he looked at us? He must have mistaken me for your lover! He gave us a look that screamed—" 

'I knew you guys had sex!' she almost let out. Thank goodness, she stopped herself on time, but Violet couldn't help feeling stupid as her incomplete sentence hung in the air.

Kai's eyes traveled to her parted lips, and Violet could swear she saw his throat rolling. "That screamed what, Miss Lee?" he asked. His voice was low, and his lips curved a seductive smile, making her face flushed.

"Hm?" he prodded upon hearing no response.

"N-nothing," she bit her lip and turned away. "Anyway, you—you should have explained to him that I'm not your lover," she let out a little complaint.

"Why do you care so much about what he thinks?"

Violet's brows knitted together, and she was unable to answer.