Chapter 38: Soirée

Wednesday finally arrived. Violet sat on a little settee inside her clothes room. Legs crossed, elbow touching her knee, and chin propped on hand, she was staring at the little chiffon dress in a champagne-blush color that was neatly hung on a single rack, separated from all of her other clothes. It had a fitted embroidered bodice, a sweetheart neckline, an open back, and a flirty flared skirt that would make her look like a graceful ballerina.

Her mom had prepared this dress for her to wear at dinner that evening. It was a lovely dress, really. Yet, she couldn't restrain herself from frowning.

When she'd agreed to the dinner last Saturday, she didn't object to being introduced to Aunt Yue's nephew. After all, there was no harm in it—she had just broken up with Adam, and most importantly, she trusted her mom's judgment. But seeing her mom's liveliness that entire day, seemingly so eager for her to meet the man, she felt a bit uneasy.

Because it was different now—now, she liked someone. And that person... seemed to like her, too.

She grabbed her phone and stared at the messages they exchanged yesterday morning. He told her he'd pick her up at 5 PM on Friday.

There's a lot to do before dinner, one of his messages said.

When she'd refused to be picked up, saying she could drive to the place herself, he'd called:

"Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like to pick up my date instead of meeting her at the location," he said as soon as she picked up the phone. He spoke so straightforwardly it made her blush.

"Then pick me up at my dorm."

A moment of silence ensued before his deep, gravelly voice rang in her ear again.

"Aren't you staying at your parents' place this week?"

"Yes..."

"You don't want me to pick you up at your parents' place?"

Violet gulped. Her quietness betrayed her answer.

"Are you planning to hide our dinner from your parents?" he asked.

He surely knew how to hit the nail on the head, didn't he?

"They... they're very protective of me, and I don't know how to explain to them that I'm going out for dinner with someone they don't know..." she mumbled, toying with a lock of her hair.

Another moment of silence followed.

"Miss Lee," he addressed her in his magnetic voice. "I'm sure I've made it quite clear that I'm asking you out because I'm interested in you."

Not knowing what to say, Violet only tightened her hold on her phone. "I plan to pursue you, and I'd like to do that openly," he said, "I'm way past the age of a teenager who'd secretly take a girl out on a date behind their parents' back."

She heard him add, "If your concern about your parents comes from the fact that I'm a stranger to them, then all the more reason for me to greet them and introduce myself properly. I don't wish to take their daughter out sneakily like a thief."

His confidence and forwardness made Violet's heart thump even louder. Still twirling her hair, she bit her lower lip and heard him chuckle. "Don't worry. There won't be any reason for them to disapprove of me. I'll be on my best behavior." 

She let out a long sigh. It looked like she'd have to come clean to her parents about Friday. About this man, Kai Wu. She decided she'd tell her mom first and then ask her mom to help break the news to her dad.