Chapter 48: A Rosebud and the Long Game

After around forty minutes of driving, the scenery outside had gradually changed. The tall buildings, skyscrapers, and river-like city crowds had evanesced, transforming into a picturesque seaside town. The sun was setting. Its soft golden rays illuminated the water and melted while the sky turned into the vivid orange and pink shade.

Kai parked the car near the Sai Kung pier. They got out of the car and walked alongside the waterfront promenade toward the town center.  

He watched as his date grasped in the surrounding sight. Despite the dwindling daylight, they still could see the pristine blue water clearly. Alongside the shores, fishermen were selling their freshly caught seafood on their colorful sampans.  

"This is beautiful," Violet exclaimed with twinkles in her eyes. Unable to contain her excitement, she darted toward the railing extending alongside the seafront. Facing the sea, she stretched out her arms and closed her eyes, welcoming the fresh saline air into her lungs with a bright smile.  

Kai remembered what she'd told her in the car—she'd never been to Sai Kung. In fact, she'd never been much of anywhere. She'd been overseas many times for treatments, but as far as her own city went, this was the first time she'd been this far away from Hong Kong Island.

"This place has beautiful hiking trails too," Kai said. "They lead to stunning white sandy beaches." 

"I've heard of them. Kiko went on one of those trails, and she said it was awesome!"

"Would you want to go?" Kai asked, both of his hands in his pockets.

Violet turned her head toward Kai and slightly tilted her head. "On those trails?"

"Yes."

"But it'll be dark soon..."

A smile tugged at Kai's lips. "Not now. Sometime in the future."

Violet had always wanted to go on one of the hiking trails with Kiko and Kiko's other friends. They would sometimes camp out there on the weekend, and Violet could only enjoy the beautiful view vicariously through the pictures Kiko'd sent her because her parents had never allowed her to go with them. 

She nibbled on her bottom lip, picturing herself on those trails. "I'd love to, but I'm not sure if my parents would let me." Suddenly feeling embarrassed, she let out an awkward chuckle. "You must think I'm weird."

 Kai raised an eyebrow. "Why would I think that?"

"Because I'm twenty-two years old, and I still need my parents' permission to do most things? Because I've lived in this city my whole life, but I don't know much about it? I only need my two hands to count the number of times I've set foot outside of Hong Kong Island." Violet rattled on, "I'd never seen an Octopus card[1] until just a few months ago when I saw my dorm mate use it to pay for her groceries at the convenience store. I thought it was a bank-issued credit card. When I saw everyone else has it, I thought wow, everyone uses the same credit card. I've bought one afterward in case I need to take the bus or the metro. Well, guess what, I still haven't used it. Because I never have to take the bus or the metro. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to use the card on a bus or a metro. Why? because I've never been on one. Or any other forms of public transport, for that matter. Ever. Unless taxis count as one—well, do they? Do taxis count as public transport? Well, it doesn't matter, anyway, because I've only ridden in one once. With Kiko. Sure, it was only for one minute, but the taxi was moving, so it still counts as riding in one, and we certainly didn't use the Octopus card to pay for the fare"—she inhaled a lungful of air—"Oh my god, I'm rambling, aren't I?"

Kai's mouth curved into an amused smile. "You rode in a taxi for just one minute?" 

She gave him a sheepish smile. "Yes... Kiko used to be a huge fan of this South Korean boy group called EXO. We would go to their concert every time they performed here in Hong Kong, but once, their concert coincided with a charity function that Kiko's father had organized." Violet bit her lower lip. "We...we tried to sneak out. We'd managed to slip out of the building and hopped in a taxi. The taxi had only moved us a few meters away from the building when Mikey, my old bodyguard, intercepted it and hauled us back inside." Violet creased her brows. "I actually don't know, to this very day, if that Taxi driver had gotten paid for those few meters fare."