Chapter Nineteen: Radiance

no content warnings except... major fluff. like a lot. 

enjoy!!

. . . . 

"So what's your plan?"

Thell watched the Mandalorian move across the room, the spacious circular house the villagers had been kind enough to lend to them. It was higher up then the others, offering a view of the setting sun over the sea of trees on a small back porch.

It was mostly devoid of furniture, but the ones that did inhabit it surprised Thell by their quality. A single, crooked table that Din had laid their belongings and medical equipment out on, and a single large bed with stitched blankets. They were colorful, like the other ones, scratchy on her skin but warm enough during the night.

It had been the first thing she had seen when they had walked in; she just wondered what Din's reaction was under that helmet. They were staying overnight, she knew that, but it's not like they had ever shared the same bed before. It seemed large enough so that there was space between them, but Thell tried not to worry. She had fallen asleep beside him before, against his shoulder in the firelight on Naboo.

This was just different. With pillows and scratchy blankets and just the two of them.

It was oddly quiet without the kid, and Din had barely mentioned him as soon as they started moving their stuff into the house. She knew he was distraught, she could feel it in the way he had hugged her when they reunited and the silence that followed after every conversation.

Seeing him again was strange, like it had been years. He still looked exactly as she remembered, all muscle and height and intimidating power. She knew the man underneath, yes, the one that was inexplicably kind and soft spoken. But he had yet to mention the words she had spoken to him right before she had run off with Grogu, and it haunted her.

She still hadn't told him the details of everything that had happened to her and Grogu in the base, but she planned to. She needed to. The ghosts of the stormtroopers and the admiral were haunting her around every corner, and her wounds stung with every breath and step she took forward.

However, he had treated her wounds as best as he could with the supplies from the Razor Crest. It wasn't perfect, and she knew she had a long road to go, but in some ways, the memories of her experience hurt more than her physical reminders. The electrocution on her thigh still bothered her when she stood, her entire body was sore. Din had had to help her into the room, leaving periodically to get their things from the Razor Crest.

She hadn't seen herself in weeks, and wandered into the fresher to see if there was a mirror. She dreaded it when she did end up finding one, only to stumble back in shock when she actually looked at herself.

Her copper hair had grown out, just fraying a bit below her collarbones. Her hair was matted in several different places and sticking up in a funny way. Her brown, bloodshot eyes were surrounded by dark circles, making her look much older than she actually was. And her skin was paler than ever, bruised in several places along her face and neck, and even more across her arms. Her cheeks were even slightly sunken in, and she could still see how she had suffered from the dehydration and abuse.

She didn't want to cry; she had never taken too much pride in her appearance. But something about seeing herself in this state, half dead nearly a week ago, recovering from a series of tortures, made her look like she was barely hanging on.

Did Din care? He never made many comments about her physical appearance, but she wondered if he was put off by her now. Over the past months, she would catch him glancing at her when he thought she wouldn't notice, or his gaze would linger when she walked in. Either way, she wondered if he actually cared. She showered anyway, feeling refreshed but still haunted by the girl that stared back at her in the mirror.