Chapter Two: Names

Thell paused, weighing her options, before simply turning around to face the man. Air caught in her throat when he finally came within sight of her, stepping close enough between the couch separating them so she could see the moonlight glow silver off his armor.

She knew of Mandalorians through childhood stories, through holos, but she had never seen one in person. He was almost beautiful, would have been stunning in that suit of Beskar steel had he not been pointing his blaster pistol straight at her. He was a large man, a good foot taller than her, but his face was concealed by a mask, and she could only stare back at the V slit where he was glaring at her from.

"I said," the Mandalorian growled. "Put him down."

The child muttered against her cloak and Thell glanced at him hesitantly. Was the child his? Was he stealing it from wherever it had come from on Bespin?

"Is he yours?" Thell asked.

"He is. Now give him to me, or I'll shoot you where you stand."

Panic shot up her veins, and before she could really think anymore, she slowly lowered the child to the ground. It looked back at her with wide, endearing eyes before waddling back over to the Mandalorian, who gently scooped him into his arms. Thell knew then that he was his, from the cautious way he held him to the way his shoulders relaxed once he held him again.

Thell blinked, feeling a bit more at ease once the man lowered his weapon.

"Did you kill him? Darand?"

"No."

"Oh," Thell murmured. "You're not killing him?"

"It won't be me that does it. I'm just here for the bounty."

Her blood ran cold. "You're a bounty hunter... You're taking him."

"That's right."

"He's just a businessman... He... Why are you taking him?"

The man stepped one foot closer, hand on his holster. "His head is worth more credits than you've ever seen. Now, do yourself a favor and get out of this place. It'll be looted by the end of the night."

He turned to go, and something deep within Thell, that dream to be free, rooted itself in her heart.

"I don't have anywhere to go."

The man stopped mid walk, and the small child peeked at Thell from over his shoulder.

"What are you, a servant?"

Thell fought the urge to roll her eyes. "More or less."

"Not my problem."

"You don't understand," Thell pressed, taking another brave step forward. "I'm alone here."

"What do you want?" The Mandalorian grumbled, throwing her a sideways glance. His tone felt more threatening than she had expected, and suddenly she wished she hadn't spoken so freely.

But maybe, somehow, in these crazy circumstances, he was her way off this planet, her way to freedom. He was traveling with a baby after all, one that it seemed he cared for very dearly.

Suddenly embarrassed, Thell shrunk back, flickering her glance to the wide window in the room.

"I want to come with you. I want to get off this planet," she said, with as much courage as she could muster.

His tone was almost gentler. Almost.

"Not going to happen. Nice try, kid."

Thell blinked, and watched them disappear back down the hallway the Mandalorian had appeared from, with one last long look at the child he held over his shoulder.