Chapter 12: Not Going Through With It

We had gotten back while they were having dinner. I peeked through the crack in the door to see the flickering candle light. How cheap. Something im sure Hera put together. I continued up stairs hoping to just go to bed. I really didn’t want to talk to anyone. I started working tomarrow and I could almost spit on the ground in disgust about it. I could spit on Clyde right now too. that’s what I was really mad at. None of the other stuff mattered.
    But then a door opened as I was walking up the stairs. One of the triplets stepped out into the hall. He looked over and smiled at us. I smiled half heartedly back at him.
    “I need to speak with Apollo.” I said “is he available?”
    “sure. Right in there.” he said pointing to the door. He smiled again at us. I just looked down.
    I walked into the room and stared around. I took my hat off and held it in my hands. Once I rob that bank im gonna get myself some nice things. A nice new hat. A 3 piece suite like Lansky and some shinny shoes.
    “hows it going there boys?” he asked as we entered. He was sitting on the ground playing cards with his friends.
    “we have relatively bad new im afraid. Those jobs we offered to you are no longer available im afraid.” I said steadily.
    “oh?” he asked looking up at us “why is that ?”
    “well, im not going to lie to you.” I said rolling my hands together. “when we went to talk the janitor into taking on more jobs. We approached it from the wrong point of view. We said it was for ourselves and instead of letting us do it the fair way he insisted we take the jobs. I am very sorry. I do hope we can seal the peace treaty in a different way since this option is no longer open”
    “do you think another round of baked goods will do the deal?” he asked standing up and brushing himself off.
    “if that would satisfy it is achievable.” I said. I was using as many big words as I could. Perhaps I could confuse him if I caught a couple in a sentence that he didn’t know. wasn’t working so far though.
    “im afraid that wont suffice Dodger.” he said walking over to me and looking down at me sternly. Like a teacher does to a kid who got in trouble. I squared my jaw and stared back up at him. I would not be alpha maled by this girl faced kid.
    “you see” he continued “it doesn’t matter that none of us actually wanted your stupid jobs. It matters that you went back on the deal. Not jus any deal either but the deal that would seal our new friendship. You know what that looks like don’t you?”
    “I do which Is why I offered to make it up to you.” I said trying to smile up at him. “what is it you need done. Perhaps we can accommodate a different need or want.”
    “I have the other boys for doing that your going to have to come up with something on your own. You have one part right though. You will have to make up for it.” he said menacingly.
    He walked back over and sat down to play cards. He had his boys move around so there were two seats opened. He motioned to them as he picked up a piece of bread from a plate on the floor and ripped a bite out of it.
    “no thank you.” I said as I began to leave. “its been a long day. You understand.”
    He nodded and focused on his cards again. I turned and walked out of the room. The triplet smiled down at me and waved. It was startling how tall they were. I would now have to come up with something to satisfy Apollo. At least it wasn’t another hole in the plan we just found.
    I walked into our own room and looked over at Clyde’s empty bed. He had left a few of his things there. I looked over at Baby Face who was staring at it blankly. He set his jaw and climbed into bed. Setting his jacket and hat on top of the post. As if Clyde had never been in that bed.
    I walked over and gathered his remaining things into my arms. I opened our tiny slit of a window and pushed his things through. I watched them fall to the ground. I gritted my teeth and slammed the window so the glass rattled dangerously.
    “I shoulda let you shoot him Baby Face.” I said as I vaulted into bed ripped my covers up and turned to the wall.
    The wall was nice and blank. It didn’t have ideas and no intention of suddenly getting up and leaving. I fell asleep sooner than I thought. Dreaming of nasty Clyde colored walls disappearing down streets in the murky haze.