Numb

TW: Trauma, mentions of death, and swearing

Bad's POV

I stared out of my window, watching people walk in the streets without a care. No guards had been spotted scouting for days. All the townspeople didn't know why, but thought it was great.

I knew why.

I hadn't come out of my room in two days. Harvey and Finn had been bringing me meals and I ate some of it. I wasn't really hungry, but it was better than doing nothing.

Mega's bed sat untouched from that morning. He didn't make it, typical Mega, but making it would cover up the fact he was here at one point. All I had done was put his scarf on the bed, with his sword leaning against the wall nearby. 

Three days ago, my best friend took his last breath. He died and I wasn't there to save him. The one who was there didn't try to save him. He probably just ran out as soon as things got hard.

I haven't talked to him since he returned to camp. Harvey mentioned something along the lines that he was sick, but whatever. He deserved it.

"Bad?" I didn't even turn around as I heard my door open. "Bad, don't you want to come downstairs? Me, Finn, and Vurb are going to play chess!" Harvey was really trying to perk me up. Chess didn't sound so bad, actually.

I stood up, looking outside again. "Fine, give me a second." I looked at Harvey, who nodded and smiled. He closed my door again and I was alone once again.

Once I got on some clean clothes, I walked up to my door. I paused, hearing someone's voice. "Come on, Zak, you need sleep. You can't even operate properly." Harvey's voice.

"I keep seeing it. Just leave me alone, please." Skeppy's voice.

I rolled my eyes. He couldn't sleep? Sure, probably a lame excuse. He was perfectly fine.

I opened my door, looking around. Harvey was walking down the stairs before he saw me and stopped. His eyes brightened and he waved me down. I shrugged, following him down the stairs.

When I got downstairs, Finn and Vurb were sitting near the coffee table where they had laid out the chess board. They looked up, waving at me and Harvey. "Hey, Darryl! Can you show me how to totally destroy Finn?" Vurb asked. I smiled and crouched down besides him. He obviously was in a sticky situation here.

"Move that one here." I pointed to one of his rooks that was surrounded. He placed it, gasping when Finn took it out easily.

"You are supposed to be helping me, not him!" Vurb hissed. I laughed, pointing to the knight that was now in front of two of Finn's rooks.

"I was setting you up so you can do," I grabbed the knight, hopping over both of the rooks. I took both of them, setting them off to the side. "that." I looked at Vurb, whose eyes were wide.

"I will never doubt your mastery ever again." Vurb whispered. Finn blinked at the board, trying to think of a move.

We played for a little while before Finn gave up, letting Harvey take over. Harvey was smart as well, but I was smarter. Being stuck in a castle for such a long time has its perks.

We all jumped when a scream was heard from upstairs. Finn and Vurb looked at each other, then to Harvey. Harvey got up quickly. "I-I'll go wake him up." Harvey stammered, before running up the stairs. I glanced over to Finn and Vurb before standing up. I followed Harvey up the stairs.